Building a Workstation Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm allmost possative that a 8800gtx will outperform those low end workstation cards. Atleast thats what I've been reading on 3d forums.

Ok I need to know about CPUs and type/ amount of ram (4 gigs probably)

Where should I go there Intel, AMD what?

For HDs I have a 150Gb raptor and 2 320gGb Western Digitals.

Links
Raptor
Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

2 hds
x2 Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

P.S. For a case I want a nice looking one with no window but big, this thing ant going anywhere, weight doesn't matter, For price I'm thinking around the <100

My Budget it kind of high. My parents would pay for it because video is my ticket into college and if i have enough good stuff then I could get a scholarship.

I would say like 1,700 USD

I edit 3D layers in After Effects and use Maya for some stuff.

I want faster rendering and smoother video.

i use maya too, but it's the Ple version.

Edit: Now that I think about it the graphics card doesn't even render graphics, its used when moving around a 3d environment, the CPU does all the rendering. So actually you wouldn't see any difference.

Not true. I use 3D Studio Max, and i found that my old comp still rendered faster with a 7900GT and an atholon 3500+ compared to my laptop that has a 7600go and a core2duo.

Rednering is both CPU and GPU intensive, but with workstation cards you should definately see a performance gain in rendering over a gaming card for the same price.

Not true. I use 3D Studio Max, and i found that my old comp still rendered faster with a 7900GT and an atholon 3500+ compared to my laptop that has a 7600go and a core2duo.

Rendering is both CPU and GPU intensive, but with workstation cards you should definately see a performance gain in rendering over a gaming card for the same price.

Well, there must be other reasons why one machine renders faster, other then the graphics card.

Here is a website dedicated to 3ds max and its benchmarks, and guess what? They never mention or test GPU performance in any way. Do you know why? Because...

There have been many efforts to come up with new and better benchmarks for the current CPU-bound rendering technology.

Benchmarking 3ds max

CPU-bound technology, not GPU.

Now lets go over to Boxx technology and look at there render nodes (computers designed for one purpose, rendering).

BOXX :: We Know VFX. And It Shows. :: R8300

If you click on configure, one might wonder why you can't configure the GPU. With so many GPUs to choose from why wouldn't you? Well I'll tell you, because it doesn't matter what GPU you have, its all CPU like I said before. Infact it has a...

16MB Onboard Video

Instead of arguing about this here can some one help?

I don't even know if these articles will help me for they seem to be pointed some where else.

8800 gtx
q6600 (buy it cheap after july 22)
full tower case
adequate motherboard for above components
4 gb DDR2 800

should fit your budget and do you great

8800 gtx
q6600 (buy it cheap after july 22)
full tower case
adequate motherboard for above components
4 gb DDR2 800

should fit your budget and do you great

Agreed, sorry for getting off topic NOGA. The above build should work great for your needs. I'd get a motherboard that doesn't have SLI as you won't need it. Heres specifically what I would get...

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: ($226 after July 22nd)
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Memory: x2
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Graphics: (will out perform quadro FX15xxx series. If you want something better then a gtx get a 3xxx or 5xxx series quadro)
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM

hard drive: (however many you need, probably 2)
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Case:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom