Best CPU and motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg_cb

Beta member
Okay I'll probably sound stupid here and you'll need more info like what I mainly use my computer for, but if money weren't and isssue what is the best cpu and motherboard out there right now? I'm just curious, I haven't researched anything in a long time need some help on what to look for. Honestly probably won't be able to afford it but I am just curious.

quote: "what I mainly use my computer for" is what will give people some ideas on what hardware combinations can be even considered. There are various makes and model boards to look over depending on type as well as choosing a cpu best suited for the application. You wouldn't use a Socket 940 Opteron server cpu for a high end gaming build with success there. Likewise a Core 2 Extreme won't work out well for a server case.

Mostly going to be using it for gaming, and media, I know saying media is vague, but I'm going to hook it up to my 42" lcd and probably end up messing video's quite a bit not enough for me to consider a mac.

What screen resolution are you running there? For a high resolution you will need a top end model for the price. The latest bells point at the 8800. Intel took the lead in gaming with their Core 2 Duo and Extreme lineup with the E6600 being one for stock use while still being quite oc capable. The top makes for boards are Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, with DFI and Abit trailing behind. A good 2gb of performance memory will go well like Corsair xms series, Kingston HyperX, Crucial, Mushkin, and a few other brands with OCZ in mind.

you forgot g-skill which is going to be your best bang for buck if living in the US. You have two options atm you can either go safe with an intel Core 2 duo or take a gamble with amd's new chips the K10'series and buy an AM2+ board and a AM2 processor and then in 3-4 months sell the AM2 processor and buy a new AM2+ cpu.

I haven't forgotten anything. I've heard quite a few complaints by repair techs including some that run their own repair shops on G-Skill and Geil memory. The brands mentioned earlier are known for being the top of the line for brands to choose from especially for high end gaming builds. Mushkin has been well known for being a good one for ocing on older Asus boards. Corsair is a top gaming memory to consider. OCZ is the premium type.

OCZ proberly cheapest memory in Canada. Best perfoming proberly the higher end OCZ modules and corsair. But who wants to spend $200 on 2 more frames per a sec.

what about the Intel C2Q Q6600 2.40GHz ? good choice? That's really probably all the more I'd consider spending for a processor at the moment. I know the one you recommended was cheaper. This is just a little better I thought. (key word thought, meaning I have not clue) lol

Intel are having a price drop on july 21st an the Q6600 is dropping down quite a lot in price. The Q6600 runs very hot mind and this could be an issue without sufficient cooling. Quad core is not currently needed either as programs rarely support multi-threaded (multiple cpu's) atm this will obviously change gradually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom