is an opteron worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
no no no get an FX-60, it's the best processor for 939. I'm afraid to say that the only way to get it now a days is off ebay for about $399-$369. Once i get the money, ill probably get it unless im closer to the release of the 790x chipset n Phenom/FX, ill get that instead.

ya but for 399 that i about 2 3rds of what i need to get a c2quad and a mobo plus 2 gigs ram so i wouldnt get a fx 60 and eve then the e6600 ouperforms it

no no no get an FX-60, it's the best processor for 939. I'm afraid to say that the only way to get it now a days is off ebay for about $399-$369. Once i get the money, ill probably get it unless im closer to the release of the 790x chipset n Phenom/FX, ill get that instead.

do the words 300$ mean anything to u?

okay.
939 opty 165. 99.95 on new egg. will it perform as well as the e6300?
yes. will it benchmark as well as the e6300? no.
do you want performance, or benchmarks? an fx-60 would be a waste of money right now, unless you ONLY plan to game.
c'mon intel boys...lets debate.

for the price it cant be beat i don't care what core2 mumbo jumbo you give us. the opty 165 has a lot of power for $100. and even before it was this cheap it was a good deal. it makes a great upgrade for peeps like me who couldn't afford to switch architectures entirely.

An FX-60 would be the **** im not denying it one bit but for the price to performance ratio go for an opty. Plus dont trust ebay one bit be really really careful especially if you're buying a processor of there. I mean thats not to say its not completely safe its just become a cesspool for fraud. I still buy stuff up there im just saying careful with something that expensive.

for the price it cant be beat i don't care what core2 mumbo jumbo you give us. the opty 165 has a lot of power for $100. and even before it was this cheap it was a good deal. it makes a great upgrade for peeps like me who couldn't afford to switch architectures entirely.

ABSOLUTELY.
if you have an s939 mobo, this is the way to go for you.
stay away from the 300 dollar fx. go with the -100 dollar opty.
lol..."core2 mumbo jumbo" lol holy crap that is some funny sh*t.

ABSOLUTELY.
if you have an s939 mobo, this is the way to go for you.
stay away from the 300 dollar fx. go with the -100 dollar opty.
lol..."core2 mumbo jumbo" lol holy crap that is some funny sh*t.

but an FX-60 is supposely better then Opteron 165 or 170 isnt it? I mean, Opteron is a server processor n wouldnt it not perform the same as an FX-60 would? Plus an FX-60 is no where to be seen except ZipZoomFly.com for $358.50. The next one down that i want to be still a dual-core is the 4800+ which i can only find on this site too for $209.00. Both the FX-60 n 4800+ is out of stock so u tell me what i should do.

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 2.6GHz Skt939 Processor Retail at ZipZoomfly

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4GHz Skt939 Processor Retail at ZipZoomfly

this is what i want to do: i have an older brother who doesnt really care about computers n he games sometimes too. If i upgrade my CPU n my graphics card to a 7600 GT, then i can "hamdedown" to him to use OR i can give my computer to my younger brother who doesnt have one.

i am planning to fully upgrade my computer from down up at the end of this year is all i have to say, plan on spending $3500.

ugh FX is for enuthists, unlocked multipliers. You can get huge HT link and still keep a sane clock speed. Opties can only go to a 2.6ghz anyway i think? but the fx is not worth the 150 bucks more.

From the comp you have now, i would just get a cheap opty oc it a lil, or mabye a 3800X2. Make a new system after with all your $3500 :D. That would be awesome.

the 165 can generally make 2.8 at least stable, lots of times 3+
i do agree that the fx is good for what dsl says above, adding that the ht link that you gain is not as much a benefit as the higher clock speed. plus, the higher your ht goes, the more instability you encounter. but in any event...there is no way that the fx is worth the 150 bucks. you can overclock to compensate for slower clock speeds. i would suggest as dsl does...if you are dead set against an opty, get a 3600 and it will very likely surpass the fx 60 clock speed.

the 165 can generally make 2.8 at least stable, lots of times 3+
i do agree that the fx is good for what dsl says above, adding that the ht link that you gain is not as much a benefit as the higher clock speed. plus, the higher your ht goes, the more instability you encounter. but in any event...there is no way that the fx is worth the 150 bucks. you can overclock to compensate for slower clock speeds. i would suggest as dsl does...if you are dead set against an opty, get a 3600 and it will very likely surpass the fx 60 clock speed.

i see ur point........i mean like i said, i wouldnt mind getting the 4800+. Heck, i wouldnt mind getting the 4600+, but y the 3600+ when the 4800+ n 4600+ is better......err faster? Remember i want dual-core.

now im just asking again, what is the difference between the Opteron 165 or 170 being a server processor n the 4800+, 4600+, n 3600+ being desktop processor? What i know is that the server is used for hosting, like best for hosting game servers for example. Desktop is for everyday computers in homes n offices. Correct me if im wrong.

oh n about how much money i want to spend on my computer, ya that wont happen; in fact, me upgrading my CPU wont happen unless i dont get a job very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom