I need advice regarding my pagefile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of that stuf is already done here except recommending disabling the system restore feature for one. For many users that could be disasterous if it becomes necessary to restore Windows often due to a bad install of some new program. Autoupdates is already disabled here since a periodic trip to the MS update page takes care of that. And in the earlier XP days you would 512mb of memory or more on custom builds. Prebuilds would see 128mb to 256mb there. I ran 1gb of ram with 98 with a simple tweak in the autoexec.bat file by adding one line in there.

yeah. I leve system restore on for only my c drive. there's maybe a couple of more things on that list that I ignore like windows sounds. I do disable windows sounds when I'm recording something in the background off of a website, record player or tape deck

yeah. I leve system restore on for only my c drive. there's maybe a couple of more things on that list that I ignore like windows sounds. I do disable windows sounds when I'm recording something in the background off of a website, record player or tape deck

The sounds for Windows functions like starting or shutting down, menu popups, new email notification, all that is purely optional. For analog external recording with a mic or two that would get in the way easy enough. The one critism of XP has often been the lack of seeing new restore points created more frequently then the few made a month or on some softwaree installations or even MS updates.

For the novice user there's always a larger need to have more fresh restore points onhand. The only time to disable that feature would be when trying to remove a virus or trojan of some type rather then crippling the ability to save the current installation especially on prebuilt systems with only a recovery disk. You have to look at every aspect before rushing into anything. There are a ton of do this and do that articles to look at. But a little foresight can go a lot furrther then... :eek:

The sounds for Windows functions like starting or shutting down, menu popups, new email notification, all that is purely optional. For analog external recording with a mic or two that would get in the way easy enough. The one critism of XP has often been the lack of seeing new restore points created more frequently then the few made a month or on some softwaree installations or even MS updates.

For the novice user there's always a larger need to have more fresh restore points onhand. The only time to disable that feature would be when trying to remove a virus or trojan of some type rather then crippling the ability to save the current installation especially on prebuilt systems with only a recovery disk. You have to look at every aspect before rushing into anything. There are a ton of do this and do that articles to look at. But a little foresight can go a lot furrther then... :eek:

I use to use Recovery Commender from vcom. it automatically (you can disable this) create a restore point before every program install and system change.

I don't really care anymore as I have my application data folder and my documents and other important stuff on other partitions.

I use to use Recovery Commender from vcom. it automatically (you can disable this) create a restore point before every program install and system change.

I don't really care anymore as I have my application data folder and my documents and other important stuff on other partitions.

Off-topic: Do you know how to change the "Desktop" folder to a different partition?

One program for creating as many as restore points as you want came out a few years ago called Set Point by Easydesk Software. But creating 50 is a little overkill in that sense. For someone without a full install copy of Windows having a number of restore points can be a life line there if something goes wrong. With more then one hard drive and burning regular data dvds you tend to take things for granted if you already have a full install disk onhand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom