Is it best to buy RAM in pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsyCho_BoB

Baseband Member
Oh, and do I want a platinum heat spread with my corsair XMS ram? Low latency worth the money either?

Sure its worth the money( Low Latency ).1 - 512 mb memory module will do 2 even better.2 - 256 mb modules is a common standard.The next memory upgrade i do will be 2 - 512mb modules.Stay with the same brand with whatever config you do.
I dont recomend 1-256mb and 1 - 512 mb module .

Yeah it's better to have 2 sticks instead of 1, at least if they are the same capacity, I am not sure how dif. capacity RAM sticks work, but they are faster when you have 2 256 sticks instead of 1 512.

HOWEVER, if you might buy another 512 of RAM later, just buy 1 512 for now and then buy another 512 for later, then you will have maximum efficiency.

Theres a slite increase in performance running dual channel especially with low latency memory.But i agree with true Orb and get a 2nd 512 module later then you`ll be SET :)

There are no speed advantages or disadvantages when running either a single module or two modules unless you have a dual channel motherboard and then it is a very minimal increase. The system only sees the memory as a whole. You can run any combination of memory modules and the system will work fine. We have never had a problem running different combinations of memory sizes in a motherboard in our labs.

Corsair Micro 1024MB PC3200 XL Pro TwinX is currently the fastest RAM with 2x512MB sticks running in dual-channel, and 2-2-2-5 timings

I have a friend who has had a very dramatic speed increase when upgrading from single channel to dual channel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom