Need criticism on my new system!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the info and suggestions guys, but I don't need a 400-500 dollar graphics card, 250 is the absolute max I will pay for it.
I chose Seagate over Western Digital because Seagates are quiet, this is going in a college dorm so I want the sound to be minimal.
I really don't think an AMD 64 is worth it unless I can get roughly the same speeds and quality of the Barton 3200 and not spend more money, because almost no programs utilize 64-bit.
I included a 19" samsung monitor that my friend has and we both love, but you're right I didn't include speakers. :( Boy this is too expensive, I need to cut some corners.
I do not need a large HDD, I would get a 40gig if I could, but 80 I will settle for if I have to for quality and decent price.
The DVD burner for $55 sounds decent.
Is the ASUS K8V deluxe as good or better than the A78X deluxe? Or is the difference noticeable?

Is ExcaliburPC.com reliable w/ overall good prices? It looks great but I have already established liking and trust in Newegg.

Please tell me how I can cut some corners and bring the cost down while noticing it the least in performance :)

cut corners? get a cheaper case, the antec sonata is 100 bucks and is supose to be super quiet, then with that u can get a bigger adn cheaper HD. Try the muskin RAM that works just as good if not better then crucial and its like 230 or so for 1 gig pf pc3200.

well make sure that you get at least an ATA133 drive if you are not going to get a SATA. The rest looks nice. Go for an antec psu as well.

any motherboard with K8 at the start will have socket 754 or socket 940 for Athlon 64's and opterons
everybody seems to like the quality of the Asus boards so that's why I chose it

when Windows "Longhorn" comes out you will need a 64-bit processor to run it

also, I'm pretty sure the Athlon 64 3000+ is about as high in performance as the XP 3200+ Barton - I believe the 64 3400+ outperforms a 3.4GHZ P4 also if I'm not mistaken

so I'll put in a 9600 XT/9800 pro instead of an X800 XT and remove the monitor and go to an Athlon 64 3200+ instead of 3000+:

Saphire Radeon 9600 XT 256mb $156
or
Radeon 9800 pro 128mb $227

Corsair 2x512mb PC3200 Platinum heat spreader 2-3-3-6 $241

Lian Li PC65 silver with window $105
or
clear acrylic blue UV $72
or
Enermax CS-3110TD1X $70

Thermaltake Silent Purepower480W silver $56

Asus K8V Deluxe $68

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ $294 + whatever extras you choose

LG 8x DVD burner $55 + whatever extras you put in

LG CDR/RW +16xDVD $42.85 + extras

Logitech Z-640 speakers $34.77

Seagate 80GB SATA 7200RPM $83

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 $23
|________________________________|

apokalipse said:
when Windows "Longhorn" comes out you will need a 64-bit processor to run it

Umm actually, you don't. There will be a 64-bit verison of "Codename: Longhorn" and a 32-bit. They are currently working on another version codenamed "Blackcomb".

Windows Server 2003 : Windows XP :: Blackcomb : Longhorn

There is supposed to be a 32- and 64-bit version of "Blackcomb" also.

(Side note: I can't wait for the Longhorn Beta is released and (**AHEM**) Leaked (**AHEM**)... The alpha is good enough for me now, although it's fulla bugs and holes, etc.

Anyways, The system sounds good so far. BTW Xoxide is a great place to get kick-ass cases and case-mods for nearly pocket change. Good choice.

Hey apok, do those sites with those super cheap items have good warranties and customer service like newegg? I mean, they're awfully cheap...
And isn't the 64 2800+ the equivalent of the XP 3200+?

lil_1_2002 said:
cut corners? get a cheaper case, the antec sonata is 100 bucks and is supose to be super quiet,

The Sonata is a GREAT case. I would reccamend it by about 95%, unless you were to buy something a lot more expensive, like a Li Lian but they're way too expensive.

You could even go cheaper than that. I assume you looked at all the cases on Xoxide's page - just click on "computer cases" a few times, so you can look at all the brands, then shop away!

Also, you can never underestimate the power of a Thermaltake case. I believe one ( cant remember which) can be had for 89.99 at NewEgg. It may have been an offer though, so it may not be that price anymore. (they need a PSU also.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom