Building a Workstation Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
of course they can, but if i'm correct, a workstation card will render a lot faster and thats were u put ur extra bucks in. Thats the point of making the whole quadro series isn't it?

and dual gpu's are only good for big resolutions. If hes working a huge screen with a 24" moniter then go for it.

I'm no expert but I don't think your going to see much improvement from a 8800gtx to a Quadro with a similar price in rendering. While the 8800 will double as a nice gaming card.

Edit: Now that I think about it the graphics card doesn't even render graphics, its used when moving around a 3d environment, the CPU does all the rendering. So actually you wouldn't see any difference.

well your comparing a last generation workstation DX9 card with newer Dx10 generation cards. I'm no expert either, but workstation cards are made with their high prices and reputation for good video editing for a reason. Too lazy to do research though :p

Nvdia likes to rebrand their video cards alot anyway. 8k series are proberly just the quadro cards optimized for gaming and DX10 support. I'm mostly likely wrong but it seems reasonable. The 7900GS is just a rebranded version of the 7800GTX from 110 to 90nm.

I already have a gaming rig. Good one. I want a workstation that is strictly for work and my gaming for gaming and downloading crap don't care if it crashes etc.

I wouldn't even put games on my workstation.

Like 2 250Gb drives in RAID and one with windows and programs.

The ones in RAID would be used for Data.

a 3d editing specific rendering card is the way to go. the quadro series works well, but can get expensive. A quad core is also a great investment for a workstation. high rpm hardrives are also useful when it comes to working with large video files.

um ati video cards are good for both and 2 2900xtxs would be very pricey thats why i said 2 1950xtx you can buy a bundle usually aswell
and theyl be plenty good for editing or he can get a quadro card but i do very much recomend the ati cards

The Quadros would help alot my friend edits his stuff with intergrated graphics idk how he does it.

this ones good for mid range 3d graphics:Newegg.com - PNY VCQFX1500-PCIE-PB Quadro FX1500 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

this ones good for entry level 3d graphics:Newegg.com - PNY VCQFX540-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX540 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

i also found this article about workstation graphics cards didnt have the time to read it tho: X-bit labs - Professional Graphics Accelerators of Today: ATI vs. Nvidia (page 18)

I got the info for the cards from this discussion i goggled it might also be helpful: Quadro card? - Video - PC Hardware

In the end i would go for a nice little Quadro FX setup or FireGl to make my life easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom