Results with new 7900gs

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you got a cpu like mine for example, an X2 4200@ 2.2ghz (very cheap now)you should get almost 5000 then, but dont judge your pc's overall performance on a benchmark test! if it works well for you and what you do/play then whats the problem?
For seeing what FPS you get in games use this Download Fraps 2.8.2 - filehippo.com
everyone uses that its great, can also take screenshots of games while your playing.
A good FPS is about 50-60.

Thanks ill try that when i get home.
About oblivion. I herd that that its really hard to get the settings maxed.
But i just started the game yesterday and i was able to have ultra high settings....and it was pretty smooth.
I was in the cave though, so that could have been it.
Im not sure if the temps im getting are ok, bad, or critical?
Do i need to buy more cooling stuff, or is it ok to buy a mini external fan to place next to the cpu.
And what temps should i be getting on idle and max while gaming.
Well lets see what happens when i get home.

And about upgrading my processor...i can only get one that supports 939 which sucks.
I would get a new mobo but i just bought more ram...so it would be useless and more spendy for me.

Ill just check my results when i get home...i get off in a few hours anyways.

Did you turn the resolution up? also when you are outside the foliage really kills machines cause there is so much grass to render, which is a new thing for games, few actually have 3d plants.

I havent been outside yet. I usually play games at 1024X768. I barely any notice any difference if I put it to 1280X1024. And what is foilage setting?
I saw that in Call of Juarez too...is that the grass thing you are talkin about. Because if it is i dont mind putting that to Low or Medium if my fps still remains good

actually s939 doesnt suck, even now in the world of c2d.
you can upgrade to an opteron 165 for 100 dollars, overclock the **** out of it and it will run circles around your 3400. and its dual core, if that matters to you. zmatt can get his opty to run like a champ, ask him.
if you are concerned about your benchmark score (dont be, thats retarded unless its like 500 on 3dmark 06 lol), upgrade your stuff. if you just need a faster processor, get the s939 opty.

if i get the opty...will i be able to oc with stock cooling? And will my performance even increase the settings from like medium to high?
And im mainly looking for gaming performance...everything else is fine.

And for the upgrade i might do it when i get extra cash.

It would be so nice if I could just give you guys my pc...i wouln't mind paying, and having you guys oclock it since you guys know what your doing.
That would be pretty cool and nice.
But anyways...im going to try playing olblivion and stalker abit more...i just started playing them for lik 15-30 mins. They're way more complicated compared to hl2. And im almost done with COJ...sweet game!!!

overclocking your cpu will not really allow you to crank the settings up much more. overclocking your card will be better for that. then, you overclock your cpu so the communication path is open so on and so forth. its an endless cycle lol.
i notice hardly any difference in 3dmk06 score with my processor at 2.3 vs 3.0. however, with my 7900gs' both cranked up, i notice a BIG difference in the score versus their stock speeds.
real world gaming will be similar. some games dont like overclocks. if i play bf2 at 3.1, at times i lag out all over the place and curse a lot. if i knock it down to say, 2.6, no problem. lots of variables, man.

thats wierd...It would be nice if they laid everything plain and simple.
Do you guys think i should oc my card anymore with the stock cooling i have?
I dont mind buying some cooling solution buy i dont wanna spend more than 20 bucks.
My sister is getting married this weekend and i gotta get her a gift...so 20 buks wont harm.
I bumped up my score by 300 points by oc with ati tool but im not sure how much further i can go? IT keeps freezing on and off when i do the core. But when i do the mem it keeps going allthe way to 830 with no lag but temps goto 80-85.
How much settings wise did i gain from 300 point increase. And how much more would i be able to oc without harming anything. Wat temp should i not exceet while gaming.

Yeah I have mine running @ 2.2ghz on stock cooling, performance increase was minimal but thats because I only have 1gb of ram. So thats holding me back. The thing idles @ 43C and under load at about 50C. It can get a little toasty but i have never gotten out of safe parameters.

and about foliage, thats smart dude talk for plants. In oblivion they have 3D freaking grass and it moves with the breeze and all of that cool stuff. There is a setting to turn that off and get the bare ground or to adjust how far off it loads it, the farther away the more realistic it looks, But the more stress it puts on your system.

for oc...should i try cool bits and do the auto oc option they have...or stick with what i have?
Or do you think i can get more from what i've oc so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom