PC powers off within 1 sec after power on frequently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, all, for your support and further hints.
I'm neither over- nor underclocking though.

I unplugged the power cord for one long night, and checked that
the PC-time afterwards is still correct, so this test on the battery
says that it is funtioning well - a simple test found somewhere
on the web.

eyeCpc's unplug trick must be next.

eyeCpc, your trick seems miraculous...
I was able to cycle the PC through Standby(sometimes restart)-On a total of 60 times without any problem.

By the way, I have one more question, now.
At the start of these recent tests I changed the BIOS Power Management Button-function to ON/OFF (I normally have it in Suspend), and minimized the load resources in msconfig to let me work faster. After the first restart, I got the PC-dead error as so often, and applied your discharge instructions, and then went through the 60 extra test-cycles, gradually adding more functions in msconfig and restarting, without any problems at all.

Now, my question is, if the original problem would come back one day, and the BIOS Power Management Button-function is in Suspend mode, will your trick still work, or need the Button to be put to ON/OFF mode first?

This question obviously expresses my lack of understanding of how and why your great trick works in the first place. So if you would care also to explain a bit more, I'd certainly appreciate, but please don't feel obliged.

Thank you very much anyway.

I generally keep the bios set at user defined in the power management section. This allows the OS to decide the power on/off/standby there. I've tested more then pc supplies where this can be seen. On occasion the ac to dc conversion ends up with a stall of it's own where you simply have to discharge the caps in the supply to allow for a fresh flow of current and a fresh charge being applied to the cap itself.

In a sense you can see this more with nicad cell phone or cordless shaver batteries where you have to let the battery drain down far enough before recharhing it. Otherwise the charger will think the battery is full when it's still low. Then you wonder why something like those suddenly quits on you when you just gave it a full charge too soon. The problem there was similar in that sense where it could work again at some point if that is the circumstance seen. If something else comes up...? ut oh!

Just glad to hear it wasn't a failing supply or other fault and only needed something simple to see it up and running again. Sometimes a seemingly hard problem at first has a simple solution. I ran into one thinking a new supply was bad out of the box and found that I simply had to unplug and replug the 12v cpu feed to see everything suddenly light up! One loose contact in the plug was all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom