External Burner not reading blank discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I have an external optical drive case so I put a new DVD burner into it this weekend. It reads discs with data on them fine. But it doesn't see blank discs. I tried both the firewire and USB and still got nothing. Any ideas what might be happening?

This may sound stupid but be sure the blank disks you are using are supported by your DVD burner. There are different types, epically when it comes to blank dvds.

The burner reads all types of DVD's except -RAM. I'm using DVD-R's. Pretty standard. My burning program (ImgBurn) sees the drive as it should, it just won't burn. But I think windows installed drivers for just a CD-ROM. Any idea where I can find optical drivers to over write them manually?

I had a cd burner that just got very old and would show up as just a cd drive. Can you put in a blank CD in there? I'm sure you probability have already tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. But it doesn't hurt for me to suggest it. Optical plug n play drives are usually just read by windows and require no 3rd party drivers. You can try the manufacturers web site or check the microsoft knowledge base for how to replace native drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom