Upgrading Motherboard and processor. HDD switch question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
Ok so I'm upgrading from a ASUS A8N5X motherboard and a 3200+ amd 64 socket 939. to a 5200+ amd 64 x2 socket AM2 and ASUS M2N-deluxe SLI motherboard. I'm sure i'll have no problems switching over my gfx card and what not to the new board but i'm wondering about my hard drives.. will i have to reformat them for them to work with the new motherboard?

Ok so I'm upgrading from a ASUS A8N5X motherboard and a 3200+ amd 64 socket 939. to a 5200+ amd 64 x2 socket AM2 and ASUS M2N-deluxe SLI motherboard. I'm sure i'll have no problems switching over my gfx card and what not to the new board but i'm wondering about my hard drives.. will i have to reformat them for them to work with the new motherboard?

yes.... otherwise u get bsods...

would there be any easy way to keep my operating system? the only disk i have is a XP pro upgrade disk. Or is there a trick with that so i can reload XP pro on. Sorry my computer expierience in this area of expertise is horrible

Another little question, is there any point to even havinga floppy drive anymore? the new motherboard im getting only has 1 FDD connector and 1 IDE/PATA connection. The only drives i'll have are a DVD rw disk drive and a master and slave hard drive. would those slots be enough or would i need splitters?

not relaly. but i think u can still use folppys for updating ur bios which i value incase it affects o/c ing :)

would there be any easy way to keep my operating system? the only disk i have is a XP pro upgrade disk. Or is there a trick with that so i can reload XP pro on. Sorry my computer expierience in this area of expertise is horrible

I think you need the key for the previous OS (2000, 98) but can still do a clean install (someone correct me if im wrong).

As for having a floppy drive, well, if you plan to do some more advanced stuff like bios updating, raid etc, then its a good idea.

I think you need the key for the previous OS (2000, 98) but can still do a clean install (someone correct me if im wrong).

As for having a floppy drive, well, if you plan to do some more advanced stuff like bios updating, raid etc, then its a good idea.

Ok so you're saying with the XP pro upgrade disc i could probably do a full clean install of XP pro?

yes.... otherwise u get bsods...

or windows will not boot at all....

whoa whoa time out!!...............u saying that anytime anyone switches mobos, CPUs, n RAM, the OS needs to be reformated?

that doesnt make sense. My previous mobo was just switched out because the mobo didnt fulfill my desire at the time from iGamez *out of business for almost a year now*. I had no problems n im sure the OS didnt need to be reformated.

ok so. Lets straighten everything out. I have a A8N5X mobo, I'm switching it out for a ASUS M2N mobo. I currently have 2 HDDs. 1 is my 20gb master the other a 80gb slave. Windows XP pro is installed on the 20gb master, if i were to just switch out the mobos, put in my new processor and memory. should the OS still work after i use the mobo boot disc and set up its bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom