Results with new 7900gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
I finally got my new card and plugged it in.

The first thing i did was run 3dmark 06 test and this was my score

3975 DDmarks
sm 2.0 score : 1892
hdr: 1868
cpu: 849

For some reason im not happy.
I've seen people getting way higher scores.

I was suggested this driver from one of the forums i asked help from
The Guru of 3D Download Section

Im not sure if thats the problem.
And i've read forums that If i have the gt chip i can use rivatuner to unlock more pipelines.

So please guys help me out and let me know what im doing wrong.

I think its your cpu. Thats an Athlon 64 3400+ right? Not an X2, if you had a higher rated Athlon or an X2 things would be different. Luckily for you s939 chips cost peanuts right now.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM
the X2 3800+ is a decent chip i think nagasama has one, he can tell you more

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
This one is my chip the Opty 165. I have had 0 problems with this chip. Runs Half Life 2 maxed out with 1gb ram and Geforce 7900GS, so if you had it pair with the same card and twice the memory you would be doing just fine. It also OCs well too. I'm at 2.2ghz and 40c Idle, 48 Load.

so thats the only way for increasing performance?
I just bought more ram too. I dont have a lot of money on hand.
Unless I should return the ram and get the processor?
Which one will be more effective on performance?
And how is my motherboard?

well the upgrades are great but i think now the cpu is holding you back. if your general performance is fine then keep it the way you have it, but going dual core is a good idea. the mobo is fine if you are happy with it. $100 isnt to hard for anyone to save up for even kids. It isn't a critical thing but you asked how to get a better score.

Is the score im getting real low?
And for the processor for 80 bucks, id rather spend a bit more and get a cheaper core 2 duo if theyre any...basically anything thats compatible with my mobo.
And if i get the 80 dollar processor, how much increase in graphics and score will i get?

And for the processor for 80 bucks, id rather spend a bit more and get a cheaper core 2 duo if theyre any...basically anything thats compatible with my mobo.
Your motherboard only supports socket 939 processors, which means no core 2 duo's.
And if i get the 80 dollar processor, how much increase in graphics and score will i get?
We couldn't say exactly. I would guess about 400 points increase in your CPU score.

Well that's subjective. All scores are relative to other machines.
It just depends on what machines you are comparing it to.
I'd say it's not bad though.

I once had a Sempron 2800+ and a 7900 GT, heavily overclocked, and I reached about 4,900
at stock, it was about the same as your score.
the GT is a faster card, and I did voltmod it and get it over 700MHZ. but I also had a slower CPU.

But the combination did run games pretty well.

can i volt mod it with stock cooling?

And just to make sure, stock means i dont have to buy any additional items rite?

I think its your cpu. Thats an Athlon 64 3400+ right? Not an X2, if you had a higher rated Athlon or an X2 things would be different. Luckily for you s939 chips cost peanuts right now.
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM
the X2 3800+ is a decent chip i think nagasama has one, he can tell you more

Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
This one is my chip the Opty 165. I have had 0 problems with this chip. Runs Half Life 2 maxed out with 1gb ram and Geforce 7900GS, so if you had it pair with the same card and twice the memory you would be doing just fine. It also OCs well too. I'm at 2.2ghz and 40c Idle, 48 Load.

unfortunately i have a 3600 brisbane am2 and a 4200 windsor am2, so i am no expert concerning the real world performance of a 3800 toledo s939. they are decent chips, to be sure. but, if it were my money and i just couldn't wait to do a total upgrade, and i had an s939 mobo, i would go with the opty 165 like zmatt's.
if i could wait to upgrade the processor, ram, and mobo...i would probably do that. who likes to wait, tho?

can i volt mod it with stock cooling?
Are you talking about the video card?
if so, yes. but I wouldn't recommend going past 1.4V on stock cooling.

And just to make sure, stock means i dont have to buy any additional items rite?
yes, or it can just refer to the speed it's running at (e.g. your CPU at 2.2GHZ)

unfortunately i have a 3600 brisbane am2 and a 4200 windsor am2, so i am no expert concerning the real world performance of a 3800 toledo s939. they are decent chips, to be sure. but, if it were my money and i just couldn't wait to do a total upgrade, and i had an s939 mobo, i would go with the opty 165 like zmatt's.
if i could wait to upgrade the processor, ram, and mobo...i would probably do that. who likes to wait, tho?
Hey, just noticed it's a Toledo.

Toledo's are supposed to have 1MB L2 cache per core, which means they have disabled half of it for the 3800+

Either because not all the cache passed the tests, or because their yields were low, and decided to use a higher model in their lower chip.

If it's the latter, you should have more luck with overclocking.

what software should i vold mod with? and what is my vold right now, and what should i go for to be on the safest side, i dont wanna blow up anything.
And after vold modding, does the performance increase rightaway, or do i have to overclock after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom