1st time build - questions about quality psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope to add a second HDD in a month or so and run them in RAID. I don't want to spend money on more watts if I don't need it, but I do want to go with a reputable brand. Is Xclio a dependable brand and would this psu be good enough?

Newegg.com - XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO - Retail

Also, is it better to find a psu that has more than 2 +12v outputs, like this OCZ psu has? Is it worth the extra $20, because I should have room in my budget for the extra cost if it is worth it.

Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, UL, FCC - Retail

600W isn't needed get the Corsair 520hx they are brilliant psu's for the money. When you Raid you have to reformat the hdd to create the array that means losing all data and having to start again with a fresh install of the OS......

Xclio is a good brand. You don't really need 500w. A good 300-400 is fine unless you want to upgrade and add more components.

I'm having a problem finding a lower wattage (300-400) psu that still has active PFC, dual 12v rails (if not 3 or 4), and is SLI supportive. Although my build is on a budget now, I want to have opportunity to expand later. If I want to SLI two GPUs, won't I need to find an SLI supportive PSU?

Also, is having a psu that is modular worth it? I read on a site I can't remember where now, that modular creates greater resistance which reduces power supplied and can cause a system to be more unstable. Is there any truth to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom