Windows XP Install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimura

Beta member
When I try to install Windows XP from DOS it copies all the required setup files then tells me to reboot and remove any disks in the A drive. After the reboot it is supposed to resume installing Windows but on this computer it brings me to the "Insert a system disk and press any key" screen. I thought about trying to change the boot sequence but when I go into the BIOS I don't see any options to change it. It's a Compaq Presario 5220.

Oops, forgot to mention that it is a new harddrive, a Samsung 80GB. The previous hard drive had Windows XP installed.

Have you formatted your drive since you installed it? Are you using boot disks that were created, or came with, the Windows XP installer, and if so, does the XP installer format your drive before copying files?

Also, what kind of BIOS do you have? Is it phoenix?

I'm using a bootdisk created from www.bootdisk.com
The hard drive has been formatted

I'm going through the procedures I have done for all our other computers but this one is not willing to cooperate. I recently read after posting here that older Compaqs BIOS is stored on a partition of the HD and not in Firmware, or something like that?

no, it doesn't say anything at all. it gives the Compaq splash screen, the next screen if "Insert a system disk".

Kimura, if you have a valid XP installation CD, why are you not using that?? I have never heard of using a floppy diskette to install Win XP.... that's weird.... perhaps you're using the 6 start up diskettes eh? If that's the case, it's still a PITA to use that when you can use the CD to boot up the PC with.

first you copy all the files to one of the drives and then you try installing xp, by going into the dos mode

Dont put files from the installation disks into folders just put it in one partition and try running setup.

this will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom