Fan blowing directly on hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I recently completed my first new computer. I installed the op system and everything seems to be fine (relief!)

One funny thing, I put an extra fan in the case, and I realize now it blows directly over the hard drive. I wonder can this be a problem, will it blow dust into the circuits of the hard drive over time? Of course the hard drive will be pretty cool.

Meh, I have a fan blowing directly on the bottom of the hard drive and it's been working fine for a few years. I doubt any dust would be able to reach the platters no matter where you position the fan.

it keeps temp down I actually mounted the mini fan which is suppose to cool the heatsinks on my mobo and cellotaped it next to my hdd's it lowered temps from 50 ish to 35 ish :D

i try to run a fan on my hdd it helps alot and i would keep it there. dust shouldnt be a factor. so i think its a good idea

hdd's are environmentally sealed the drive heads and the platters are mere nanometres apart dust can not enter the enclosure and damage the actual hard drive unless you open the hdd without taking proper precautions (which can be done quite easily at home by using a plastic container as a "clean" room and cutting some holes and mounting rubber gloves :D)

The top and sides of the hard drive look well sealed. It's just the bottom has some openings exposing circuits that I wondered about.

But from the consensus I gather I don't have to move my hard drive out of the way of the fan. Good. It works, I don't have to touch it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom