Dual boot Question with Vista and XP (help appreciated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpixel

Daemon Poster
So, I have decided to also dual boot XP, because I want to play BF2. I have read on how to dual boot using one hard drive, but I have another idea. Instead of partitioning a portion of my hard drive, then install XP, then repair the MBR for vista. I have decided to take an old IDE hard drive, reformat it, and install XP one this hard drive, and keep Vista on the other. Should their be any problems with the MBR? Because XP is installing on a different HDD, I should have any problems correct?

Any help is appreciated.

If you unplug your Vista HDD while installing XP you wont have this issue. Thing is you have to make sure that that HDD is set to master. Then when you plug in the Vista one again that has to be set to Master and the XP drive to slave. If you forget the system will try to boot both OS's and give you a error.

You could use the Cable Select option as well. But that will give you Vista and not XP. At that point you will have to unplug the Vista drive. Plug in the XP drive. Boot it. Go to Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini tab and write down you boot info.

From there plug in the Vista drive again and boot back into Vista. Easiest way to edit the BCD is with EasyBCD. So use that and edit your BCD to include the boot for XP. Then you will have a dual boot system.

Only problem with that is XP will think it is hte first partition on the primary HDD. Same as Vista. So you could run into issues.

Easiest thing to do. Put in the new HDD. Format it. Insert the XP CD and isntall XP on that drive. From there do above. Go into the msconfig and write down your boot info. Use the VIsta CD to repair your boot config. Go back into Vista and use EasyBCD. Add hte option to boot to XP to the Vsita partition. Saves all the time opening and closing your case to dual boot.

If you unplug your Vista HDD while installing XP you wont have this issue. Thing is you have to make sure that that HDD is set to master. Then when you plug in the Vista one again that has to be set to Master and the XP drive to slave. If you forget the system will try to boot both OS's and give you a error.

You could use the Cable Select option as well. But that will give you Vista and not XP. At that point you will have to unplug the Vista drive. Plug in the XP drive. Boot it. Go to Start>Run>msconfig>Boot.ini tab and write down you boot info.

From there plug in the Vista drive again and boot back into Vista. Easiest way to edit the BCD is with EasyBCD. So use that and edit your BCD to include the boot for XP. Then you will have a dual boot system.

Only problem with that is XP will think it is hte first partition on the primary HDD. Same as Vista. So you could run into issues.

Easiest thing to do. Put in the new HDD. Format it. Insert the XP CD and isntall XP on that drive. From there do above. Go into the msconfig and write down your boot info. Use the VIsta CD to repair your boot config. Go back into Vista and use EasyBCD. Add hte option to boot to XP to the Vsita partition. Saves all the time opening and closing your case to dual boot.

well, can i leave vista hdd installed, instal xp on the newer hdd with nothing, and then use my windows vista disk, to run the recovery agent/start up process, then use the easy bcd while i am in Vista?

I use this setup without any problem. I just use the bios or f12 when I want to boot to the other OS. this seems to be the best way as you don't have to mess with a bootloader (I can't stand them myself)

Not all BIOS give you that option to choose which drive to boot from like that. I know my BIOS doesnt. I would haev to shut off one of my SATA HDD's to be able to do that trick. But since all my drives are partitioned and i have stuff located on each drive i need doing that isnt a option.

The F12 is a good thing. At times. I have found the boot loaders much easier that way if i forget when or if i happen to miss hitting F12 at the right time the loader makes it easier. Plus i haev my time limit set to 5 seconds so it doesnt stay up long.

I use this setup without any problem. I just use the bios or f12 when I want to boot to the other OS. this seems to be the best way as you don't have to mess with a bootloader (I can't stand them myself)

how do I know if my motherboard can do that?

how old is your machine? have you updated the bios at all? most of the time it depends on the manufactor.

how old is your machine? have you updated the bios at all? most of the time it depends on the manufactor.

custom built one, but ive decided to go with dual booting off the two hard drives. My next question is, when I install XP on this old hard drive, it will reformat it correct? Also what is the worst scenario I am looking at happening if something goes wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom