Psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the link...

OCZ are only bad when you have your system running close to the maximum rated power output of the PC a lot.

oh... but mine is a stealthxstream not a gamexstream

That's like saying I have a two different Apevia PSU's...after i know that one blows I wouldn't trust the other.

Jonnyguru said:
Things were satisfactory until test 3. During test 3, I started to see ripple on 12V1 and 12V2 that was nearly 100mV. By test 5, the ripple was 100mV on 12V3 and 12V4 and had exceeded 100mV on 12V1 and 12V2. By test 6, the ripple on 12V1 and 12V2 had exceeded 150mV.

ATX specification has an "allowance" for 120mV. Mind you, test 6 was very stressful, pushing the power supply to it's limits, but it doesn't change the fact that the ripple exceeded spec and this is the first power supply to date I have had do this.

What's wrong with too much ripple? Well, if the voltage fluctuates too erratically, it can over work other regulators used to provide Vcore to the CPU, GPU, etc.

A representative of OCZ did find my findings concerning and asked that I return the unit for an exchange. I did so, and in the interim I obtained an FSP Epsilon 600W. The 600W version of the power supply the OCZ GameXstream is based on. In testing that unit, I found a good deal of ripple as well. When a brand new GameXstream was finally returned to me, I immediately plugged it in and found the same results as the first sample.

Fortunately, it is very unlikely any of us will have one of these power supplies at or above 400W, at least for any considerable period of time, but this high ripple measurement will be taken into consideration when calculating the performance score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom