Building my New PC on July 22... SPECS and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
My budget is $1,200. I will NOT overclock this computer. So if I get a Q6600 or a E6750, which motherboard should I get. I'm worried about compatibility with graphics cards, ram, etc. This is my first build and I'm not going to overclock (so don't respond saying " you will overclock, trust me", because I'm 100% sure I won't do it).

I'm getting:
Probably Core 2 Duo E6750
ATI X1950XT or XFX Nvidia 7900GS, which is better?
G.Skill 2gb ram.
Antec 500W power supply
Coolmaster ATX case
SamSung or WD HDD 320GB
SamSung CD-R
Sony DVD+-R
SamSung 20" Monitor
Suggestions are welcome.

I just need a good stable MOBO that is compatible with all these things...

The x1950xt is way ahead of the 7900gs, and any other 7-series GeForce card, all except 7950gx2 and maybe the 7900gtx . So why are you 100% sure you can't overclock?

Why not an 8800?

Also I have heard latly that Antec is not producing good PSU's, with my neighbors having to exchange three because of DOA. I personally am going with Seasonic.

lol i'm sure u'll get tempted, to OC, but whats wrong with getting a 1k processor for 200$, but the 8800gts is a great card..... i highly recommend the GA-P35-DS3R

The x1950xt is way ahead of the 7900gs, and any other 7-series GeForce card, all except 7950gx2 and maybe the 7900gtx . So why are you 100% sure you can't overclock?

I just don't want to break anything. That answer alone should give you an idea of how ignorant I am about overclocking. LOL
I also heard it decreases the life of the CPU (I'm assuming they were talking about pentium 4's since the clock speed was high enough??)

And for the other people suggesting 8800gts.... that is freaking $300+!!!! Too expensive for me...
Is a X1950XT better than 8800gts? or is the 8800gts better? and by how much?

I just don't want to break anything. That answer alone should give you an idea of how ignorant I am about overclocking. LOL
I also heard it decreases the life of the CPU (I'm assuming they were talking about pentium 4's since the clock speed was high enough??)

And for the other people suggesting 8800gts.... that is freaking $300+!!!! Too expensive for me...
Is a X1950XT better than 8800gts? or is the 8800gts better? and by how much?

8800gts is better than x1950xt at stock speeds.... but if u overclock the XT to xtx speeds the 8800gts 320MB and XTX 512mb is similar in performance.....

and overclocking a core 2 duo is easy, its a lot more safer than it was back in the Pentium 3 gen (when it was extremely dangerous) seriously.... u will consider it.... its really tempting....

I also heard it decreases the life of the CPU

Yes overclocking reduces the lifespan of your CPU. However, the lifespan of a CPU is so long that, if done properly, OCing wouldn't do much harm. By the time your CPU wears out there will probably be some mega quad CPU released and you'll realize that your processor is out of date. Just don't get the CPU too hot and don't go over the proper amount of voltage.

8800gts is better than x1950xt at stock speeds.... but if u overclock the XT to xtx speeds the 8800gts 320MB and XTX 512mb is similar in performance.....

and overclocking a core 2 duo is easy, its a lot more safer than it was back in the Pentium 3 gen (when it was extremely dangerous) seriously.... u will consider it.... its really tempting....

b4 anybody flames me, i said similar in performance... not same.. most dx9 games 8800gts does better but usually by a small margin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom