Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Microsoft Corp. has agreed to modify its new Vista operating system in response to complaints that its desktop search function puts Google Inc. and other potential competitors at a disadvantage, a source familiar with the case told Reuters on Tuesday.

The Justice Department and Microsoft are expected to provide details of the proposed changes in a joint report filed in federal court later on Tuesday, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The source provided no details on what changes Microsoft had agreed to make.

A spokesman for Microsoft had no immediate comment.

Click Read More to view the rest of this article.

News Source: WinBeta

Microsoft planned this week to announce that it was broadening the virtualisation rights for Windows Vista but decided at the last minute to reverse course and stick with existing limits.

The software maker had briefed reporters and analysts on plans to allow the Home versions of Vista to run in virtual machines, addressing criticisms from virtualisation enthusiasts and Mac users who had chafed at having to buy one of the two priciest versions of Windows in order to run Vista in a virtual machine.

Microsoft at first said virtualisation presents inherent [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]security [COLOR=blue! important]risks[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses would employ the tactic.

On the Mac in particular, though, virtualisation has become a consumer feature and many people wanted to use the Home versions of Vista, which Microsoft executives concede present no additional security risk.

News Source: Silicon.com

installed vista a few weeks back and i have to say it was worth the risk... i seemed to really "luck out" as most of the drivers i got for non-essential things were JUST released the day i installed vista :)

i do have one complaint.... i never thought in a matter of a few years my computer would be so totally pwnd by vista.......

screen shot

check out that gnarly cpu meter on the bottom... pretty harsh for 2 gigs IMO (vista x64 ultimate and X2 4200+ s939), but oh well

that video converter isn't even active - a nice chunk of that was photoshop (which i had just closed to release some of the memory), but only about 30% of it was photoshop, it usually idols around 60% usage

wth.... ur system is using 100% of both cores... how the heck did that happen??

Google Inc. said today that it wants federal and state regulators to press Microsoft Corp. to make more changes to Windows Vista's desktop search and indexing tool.

Although Microsoft struck an agreement yesterday with the Department of Justice (DOJ) and 17 state [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]attorneys [COLOR=blue! important]general[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to modify some aspects of Vista's built-in search, Google said antitrust officials should do more.

"Microsoft's current approach to Vista desktop search clearly violates the consent decree and limits consumer choice," David Drummond, Google's chief legal officer, said in an e-mail today. "We are pleased that as a result of Google's request that the consent decree be enforced, the Department of Justice and state attorneys general have required Microsoft to make changes to Vista.

source.gif
News Source: ComputerWorld

Within its recent response to the United States Department of Justice that stated it would modify Windows Vista to enable end users and OEMs to change the default desktop search it uses, Microsoft for the first time discussed Service Pack 1 for the OS, saying a beta will come this year.

Microsoft has remained unusually silent about its SP1 plans for Vista, encouraging users and businesses not to wait for the first major upgrade. With a beta slated for the end of 2007, Vista users could see the final version of SP1 by the middle of next year. For the update, Windows Desktop Search will continue to run in the background, but other programs such as Google Desktop Search can replace Microsoft's results - if the user chooses to do so via a link. Few other details are known about Vista SP1 at this time.

News Source: BetaNews

I only have one problem with Vista, and this is the problem

annoying.JPG

only happens when playing games, and sometimes randomly. Caused by TDR :(

hmmm i was wondering if there anything i could do to stop the iratating pop up that indicate your permision to lauch the program since i am the administrator?

Windows users who shelled out extra to get the top-of-the-line [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Vista[/COLOR][/COLOR] Ultimate SKU, your requests for an update have been answered. Microsoft hasn't abandoned its promise to get more of the expected downloadable add-ons to Ultimate to you after all!

[COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Microsoft[/COLOR][/COLOR] posted an update on the whereabouts to the Vista Team Blog on July 2:

"The (Ultimate Extras) team recognizes that they've been dark for some time on the topic of Ultimate Extras, but want to go on record that they plan to deliver pending DreamScene and Language Pack Extras by summer's end, and expect to disclose a schedule of further Extras releases after that milestone" blogged Vista Product Manager Nick White.

What these 'further Extras' may include is sadly still unknown...

News Source: ZDNet Microsoft Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom