A few questions on my new build

Status
Not open for further replies.
about the RAID, is there any setup that gives you better performance than RAID 0? I've been thinking of getting a RAID 0 with 2 of these Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE WD3200YS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

But wouldn't 3 of those in RAID 0 be able to out-perform a raptor?

Use these hard drives in RAID 0 instead:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
They're cheaper, and the Seagates are one of the faster 7200rpm hard drives out there.

About 3 hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration. I think it will give you better performance. I'm just not sure how 3 hard drives will work. I usually just see two hard drives in RAID 0...but ask The Major. He's very knowledgeable in that area.

According to this the Raptor wins almost every test even against raid 0s. Besides, the more drives you add in a raid 0 the more likely you are to have a failure. Ex: two drives, two times the chance of failure, three drives, three times the chance and so on.

The Raptor-X's performance is even good enough to beat a RAID 0 array consisting of two modern 7,200 RPM drives, except in terms of pure throughput, of course. In addition, it is nicer having only one drive to install, and the data safety of a single drive is better anyway. Speaking of safety, we should refer to the five year warranty, which should give you a good feeling.
WD1500AD Raptor X-Tends Performance Lead | Tom's Hardware

yeah...i wouldn't use RAID 0 simply because the difference in speed is not enough to justify losing all data (even if you back up its a pain in the @$$) if only one of the drives went bye-bye.
possibility of that happening is slight, but it is indeed possible.

They don't have any of the newest .10 Seagates in that article though and wouldn't a RAID of two or three seagates be less noise and temperature than that of one raptor?

They don't have any of the newest .10 Seagates in that article though and wouldn't a RAID of two or three seagates be less noise and temperature than that of one raptor?

but didn't u know... the more drive u put into a RAID 0 array, the higher disk-failure rate becomes........

I don't think that matters much. Harddrive technology hasn't improved much since that article was written, especially in the speed department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom