How can I copy cd to Floppy multiple volumns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maji1225

Beta member
My neighbors cd drive is not working; I would like to upgrade my neighbors computer from Win95 to Win98, however the cd drive is not activated. I thought that I could copy the W98 cd to Floppy and install it that way.
Can anyone help?:rolleyes:

you technically could span a cd over multiple floppies, however i am strongly against this as floppies are so flimsy and it would take about 600 of them.

just go buy a cheap cd-drive for lik 20 bucks.

There is an option to copy the cd to floppies (I don't remember how) but you need 90 of them. So what sithspawn suggested and get a cd-rom drive.
Why is the cd-rom drive not "activated"? Is it just not working or are you installing from DOS and need drivers or what?

Why don't you just pop your CD drive out of your own computer and use yours to install Windows 98 to their computer. From there they can decide if they want to purchase a drive of their own.

Why don't you just pop your CD drive out of your own computer and use yours to install Windows 98 to their computer. From there they can decide if they want to purchase a drive of their own.<--- that sounds bout right

Why would you even think about taking all the time to copy the Win98 CD to a cazillion floppies and taking even more time to install off of all of them. Get a cheap CD drive or use your own.

thats a good about popping the cd rom out to borrow it, or you can up windows to a server and dl it off there

You want to stay away from floppies for that kind of operation.

If you have a computer....I guess you could run back and fourth between your home and his with a couple floppies at a time.

I recommend a CD\DVD rom or some other mass storage device would be preferable.

Magnetic media that is exposed to openly to oxygen deteriorates very quickly.
We've learned this the hard way from:
Tape Drive
Floppy Drives
Zip Drives
LS Drives
Jaz Drives
DLT Drive
The failure rate is incredible among floppy drives though.
I remember carrying 5 floppies with the same thing on them for redundancy. Moving parts are also a problem as you can imagine.
Zip drives have click death......

Optical drives, closed magnetic drive(I understand that hard drives need a packet of air) and closed magnetic drives with no moving parts have very low failure rates.

Best thing is to replace that drive, download the update, or let your neighbor borrow yours.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom