in benches its a marked difference baron to get 4gb. my ram chart is now:

512mb: xp general use
1gb: xp light gaming/ vista general use
2gb: xp high-end gaming / vista average gaming
3gb: xp media editing / vista high end gaming
4gb: xp CAD / vista media editing
5-6gb: xp server/ vista CAD
8+gb: server use

no-one is going to buy 1gb of ram as 2x1gb is so cheap now so 4gb is the best level in ultimate performance/price. 2gb will run fine it just won't be quite the full potential of speed. As I said earlier vista reserves around 40% of ram for precaching programs that's why its slower on boot but seems faster whilst actually on then xp

the old alcohol dont work on vista u need the new oen !!

dude.. thats my quote.... in ur sig... anyways.....

i think 4gb is unnecessary on ur system.. if u look at the highest benchmark scores.... they all have 2 gb of ram not 4gb, it might push u a thousand points....................

in benches its a marked difference baron to get 4gb. my ram chart is now:

512mb: xp general use
1gb: xp light gaming/ vista general use
2gb: xp high-end gaming / vista average gaming
3gb: xp media editing / vista high end gaming
4gb: xp CAD / vista media editing
5-6gb: xp server/ vista CAD
8+gb: server use

I would say that is a bit off - there is absolutely no need for anymore than 2GB on an XP platform. I'm not sure if it has been fixed in Vista, but XP could only access 3.2GB of RAM or so even if you had 4GB installed. If you use 32-bit Vista, you dont need anymore than 2GB of RAM. If you want to go higher, just get the 64-bit version.

Vista doesn't actually use as much memory as it appears to, because that is precaching and when a program actually needs the memory, it frees it up. And get the new Alcohol 120%. For some reason, Vista does not like the older versions of media burning software such as alcohol, nero, etc.

I have 1 gig, and i can run games fine in vista, but im getting another 2 gigs when i have the money... another 2 gigs of corsair, this does me absolutely fine, I keep my e4300 where the corsair runs fine with me.

depends on your graphics card any 32bit operatng system can only address 4gb of ram. You have a gaphics card with onboard ram then that also has to be addressed. You end up with 3.25-3.5gb system ram if you stick in 4gb unless you go with 64bit where the limit 128gb of ram lol

what???????? thats not how it works. 32bit cpus have 64bit address space which half of it is for system ram the rest is for devices and the like. you can have 4 gigs of ram and a video card in a 32bit OS.

Beedubaya said:
For some reason, Vista does not like the older versions of media burning software such as alcohol, nero, etc.
Yet another reason to stick with XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom