A simple PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylax4

Baseband Member
Hey I have a budget of $300-400 and want to build a PC for these purposes; Firefox, Photoshop 7.0, MS Word, AIM, and various retro emulators (NES,SNES,N64,Gen), no current games.

Can someone explain to me those micro atx cases on newegg? Are they recommended? I would like it to be as small as possible as well. Another important thing is that its silent.

For processor I want to go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
case? possibly one of those micro atx's
mobo?
power supply?
hard drive? (160GB would do fine)
CD/DVD burner?
RAM? (I want 1GB)
For now I'll go with onboard video and audio

Its not that I don't understand all the specs on newegg when I'm looking for the parts but its that I don't know whats recommended. With some hobbies, like PC building there are just certain parts that are always recommended because of its value and its reliability. I hope there are some parts you can recommend me that are good and cheap.

so i just put together a budget x2 3600 build... here's a few things that i got:

x2 3600 with ecs mobo (combo on newegg) - 106
2gb corsair XMS 667mhz ram - 70
320gb sata 3.0 Maxtor hd - 64 (got it at a fry's though)
Ultra Micro fly MX6 case with 600W XVS PSU - 100ish (amazon.com, but i paid tax)
Sony DVD-RW - 32

the case/psu deal is great because i havent seen anything under 120 for that combo.

anyways, the total is about 375. pretty decent IMO

fastrandstrongr where did you get 2gb of corsair xms for $70?

I figured out a build that is about $300. BTW I'll be running Win XP, I'm running Vista now and I feel like it's too early for it.

CD/DVD burner - LITE-ON 16X DVD Burner $26
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - Retail

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 541 RC-541-SKN1 MicroATX Mini Tower $50
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 541 RC-541-SKN1 Black Aluminumm bezel, SECC chassis MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Retail

Hard Drive - Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM $53
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Motherboard - MSI K9VGM-V Socket AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD $49
Newegg.com - MSI K9VGM-V Socket AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

RAM - WINTEC AMPO 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 $40
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPO 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ $64
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

its on newegg. actually, they JUST raised the price to 74.99. just search for the xms series, and you will find 2x 1gb of ddr2 675mhz.

Edit: I'd stay away from VIA chipsets. Try getting an nvidia mobo... i think there's a couple of em in the 50 dollar range.

And you're missing a PSU! Fortron 400W would do the trick.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 w/onboard GeForce 6100 or BIOSTAR TForce 6100 w/onboard(Since you wanted Micro ATX)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM - 1GB G. Skill DDR2-800
Power supply - FSP Group (Fortron Source) 400W
Hard drive - WD 160GB hard drive
Optical drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner

These parts come to a total of $316.94, shipping price not inluded. Just choose a case to your liking. Maybe something like this for the case, since you wanted it as small as possible:
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
With that case, your total would come to $386.93

i wouldnt get the qpack cuz i don't think it fits standard size psu's. either that or drop the FSP and use the included microATX psu... which isn't recommended.

hmm...I'm not sure...I was looking at the specs sheet, and it says the power supply is ATX.

I was looking at the dimensions for both the FSP and the PSU included with the QPACK case. And the PSU included in the case is smaller. So you're probably right.

yeah, i was looking around for a mATX case and i specifically wanted one which could hold a standard size PSU... and the only one i found was the Ultra Microfly.

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 w/onboard GeForce 6100 or BIOSTAR TForce 6100 w/onboard(Since you wanted Micro ATX)
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM - 1GB G. Skill DDR2-800
Power supply - FSP Group (Fortron Source) 400W
Hard drive - WD 160GB hard drive
Optical drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner

These parts come to a total of $316.94, shipping price not inluded. Just choose a case to your liking. Maybe something like this for the case, since you wanted it as small as possible:
Newegg.com - APEVIA X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
With that case, your total would come to $386.93

nice system b1gapl... usual bookmarking? hahaha.... but i think it should fit.. i looked at the specs.. but not entirely sure tho....

Ok whatever about the MicroATX. Full size ATX makes it alot cheaper and gives me better options. What mobo and power supply?

I don't understand anything with the fans and thermal paste. What is recommended to buy with what case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom