PSU toroids or caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I've got a brand new Antec EarthWatts 500W power supply, and ever since I got it, it makes this horrid high-pitched squealing noise (up in the VERY high frequency range, it's like a dog whistle).

I'm pretty positive it's a vibrating toroid, but I want to be sure it's not a bad capacitor (they get hot, and the inside boils, thus creating the squealing noise).

Is there any way of opening the power supply so that Antec cannot tell I had it open, other than the "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED" sticker? If it's a vibrating toroid, all I have to do is stop the vibrating, probably with hot glue. But if it's a bad capacitor, I want to send it away for RMA.

Also, how should I discharge the PSU, and how long should I wait before opening it up?

I would never recommend opening a PSU to anybody who isn't certified to do it. I can say however that some Windex and a razorblade will lift the sticker right off the side and that a safe discharge period would be anywhere between 8-24 hours depending on how much power it has been churning out before it is shutdown. HOWEVER, If I were you I would RMA it anyways so the manufacturer can chalk it up on its list of total defections. You may get a brand new one in return and its MUCH safer than trying to fiddle with a PSU yourself. Spending 5-10 days without a PSU is better than spending the next 3 weeks wearing a hear monitor because of a good jolt.

I guess I'll have it RMA'd for Monday... Because of my location, it takes soooo long for RMA's (an example; I sent a Gigabyte board away for RMA about a month ago... It's still two provinces away).

However, I've got a spare 400W Smartpower. I guess I'll have to live with that for a month or so.

Also you can ground one of the power prongs with the ground prong and that will discharge the transformer. But you should RMA it anyway since you paid good money for it you want it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom