Audio Problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab3156

Baseband Member
Hi.

I am having a problem with my audio device. I have an HP m7650n desktop and when I go to

Start > Control Panel > Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices > Adjust the System Volume

it is all grayed out and I can't change anything. Second, if I click on Advanced Volume Controls, it says:

"There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware."

What is the problem here? I re-installed the driver for the Realtek HD Audio Manager, and it still doesn't work.

Also, sometimes hardware detection pops up and says it's trying to install an unknown hardware, and I think it's trying to install the audio chipset.

Under Device Manager, under the section "Other devices" there is an Unknown Device with an exclamation point on the icon. What should I do with this, and is this a part of the problem?

Thanks in advance.

-sab

It looks like your audio drivers got the boot somehow, this can happen it just kinda does sometimes. If its onboard audio uninstall all your audio drivers that may remain and pop in your mobo driver cd. Install those drivers and then down load the latest from the manufacturers website, whoever made your mobo. If you don't have that cd down load the new drivers and try the same thing as above without the cd. If its not intigrated take out your sound card and uninstall all remaining audio drivers. Restart the PC and install the latest drivers and app package BEFORE you insert the card (Unless the directions specify otherwise). Then powerdown put in the new card, it will detect new hardware. Point it to the new drivers and Bam! Crank up winamp!

It looks like your audio drivers got the boot somehow, this can happen it just kinda does sometimes. If its onboard audio uninstall all your audio drivers that may remain and pop in your mobo driver cd. Install those drivers and then down load the latest from the manufacturers website, whoever made your mobo. If you don't have that cd down load the new drivers and try the same thing as above without the cd.

Thanks for the help. I have a few questions. Should I remove the driver from Device Manager, and should I also remove the "Unknown device" from "Other Devices"???

Also, when it detects the hardware, it is named "unknown" and how am I supposed to tell it where the driver is? Please let me know.

Thanks again.

OMG I just found out my Video Card (GeForce 7300 GT) driver got smashed too. I was just trying to run a game, and it's saying that the driver is outdated. I downloaded the "update" (which was the same thing I had before) and it is saying the same thing. WTFFF... :(

What game were you trying to run? With the sound driver select other and right click it and select update driver. You should already have the motherboard CD in the drive from the manufacture.When you slect other and update driver let it auto install first and see if it findes the driver. If not you will have to browes to the CD Rom drive and point it to the drivers. Sometimes it takes awhile. Like QuaziBee sugestedyou can go to the HP web Site and go to suppeot and download drivers and type in your modle and download the drivers you need for sound. You may also need to install your motherboard drivers also that may be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom