Partial boot up? Killing me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Read through some other posts that seem to have had similar problems but solutions found I don't think apply...except maybe PSU? Opinions? Experience?

I have an older system, replaced the CPU a few days ago to AMD XP 3000+ and now when I try and fire it up it goes into what looks like a partial boot up: mobo lights up, fans on CPU and graphics card working, and RAM is hot but some problems: monitor is in stand by mode, no heat on the CPU heat sink, no power getting to the mouse and keyboard. Is this a PSU problem?

Specs:

mobo: ASUS A7V333
video card: ATI AIW 9600XT 128MB
HD: 80 gig
RAM: 1.5 gig
sound card: SB audigy platinum
PSU: enermax 300W
CPU: AMD XP 300+
DVD burner
CD burner
DVD player

I would have figured I screwed up the CPU install but it's a simple process and I've done it a half dozen times before without incident. Also, THIS ISN'T THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. About a year ago the CPU kicked out on me like this when I moved houses...for a day or two it did this exact same thing, but eventually went away and haven't had a re-occurrence until now...but it's been 4 days now and atleast 30 re-boots. Happened two years ago as well, but fixed its self as well.

Have tried reversing the CPU install but no luck, same problem with old CPU now. Before I start replacing hardware I figured I'd check in for opinions...

All help appreciated...thanks.

Could be a power issue. I've seen similar stuff a few other times and it's always been a motherboard issue. You might try updating your BIOS if you haven't already. As I recall, some boards can be finicky about taking a higher end Athlon XP chip without the latest bios.

k....any ideas on how to do that? The problem being that I can't get the comp out of this current mode...monitor is always in that "hibernation" mode on boot up. Even after trying to switch back to the old CPU the problem persists...can't access anything.

well if ur computer is hanging during boot ur hard drive could/may be corrupted, take out your hard drive and get it test it on a friends computer or take it to a shop. that might be your problem.

Is it possible to remove the hard drive from the tower and test it on my laptop? Just curious, otherwise i'll pull it and take it to a local shop for a look at. then maybe a power supply switch and lastly the mobo...as that is the most expensive (hardest to return) fix.

Any other opinions are appreciated....

thanks

I'd say try upgrading the psu. I had the problem you're having with two computers now, on one the mobo was fried due to my inexperiance with overclocking at the time, but the other one i got working by replacing the
250W psu with a 400W.

Are you sure that the Mobo will run that CPU ? that wat it sounds like ... ive had it before ..try these

1. Unplug from wall for 5mins
2. Reseat CPU and H/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom