Geforce EVGA 6800 Ultra locks up - Is there a diagnostic tool available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
networkgeek - I thought about that. I initially suspected the HDD, but i did a drive fitness test that came out OK. I do have a new killer SCSI set that i just installed XP on and i'm slowly transferring my junk over. I'll see how it behaves there.

FlashDude - i was not aware that Nvidia has tools which i could monitor the temp. Is that the standard tools that come with the drivers?

I'm also suspecting my MOBO - i do have a spare, but not the spare time to gut it all out.
The reason i suspect the mobo is that when i boot up i get a warning "your computer is in overclock mode, disable to prevent performance issues" or something like that.. ofcourse i have to F1 to continue. I've reset the factory defaults before, messed with the settings but the problem just comes back. Even replaced the battery. Once i boot up past the error, i can reset the box and it will not halt during POST. Only if i shut it down completely, will the warning come back. Even a full powerdown doesn't always generate this warning. This makes it kinda tough to diagnose after making BIOS changes. As a matter of fact, when i tweaked some settings it seems like the game goes on longer without a lock up.

Sigh... I just wish i had all the hardware like i do at work :) Then i'd just swap parts and bam!

Yes the standard drivers have built in temp monitor, If you are using the new control panel switch to the clasic and if your card has a temp diod then it will be displayed. My 6800gs has it so you would think the ultra would as well. Have you tryed flashing the bios?

If i were to overclock too much a message would also pop up Saying to "change the setting to prevent damage to the hardware" so i did but i dont get why it still popes up on yours :/ try resetting the BIOS by pulling out the battery in the MOBO for 5 minutes to clear everything up completely

FlashDude - Yeah, i'm a duchebag, i actually had slightly older drivers (last set?) so.. i now have the newest :) And i RTFM and found the temp monitoring.

Interestingly, i just had it lock up in regular windows before upgrading drivers. I still don't think that will help.. but i'm also thinking of taking the BIOS advice... I do remember doing all the 'needful' when i got the machine but i'll see if there's a new version out. I also tried taking out the batt and draining the mobo...

Lets see how Company of Heroes does now

Welp, that didn't help.

I put on CoH on my fresh install of XP - the game played fine for a few hours, but then at one point it froze again - this time there were graphic glitches visible on the screen (black lines and shapes).

I'm actually beginning to think it may be related to the PSU... Maybe there is a drain in power in one of the leads connected to the VC (maybe HDD is suddenly drawing some current) and it leads to a crash. I'll try to isolate the leads to make sure nothing else is connected to the ones that are used for the VC.

This is such a PITA to figure out... :(

Update:

Welp, wouldn't you know it - as i'm poking fun at my friend cause his mobo is dead and he wouldn't stop b!^(#ing - my PC just shuts down with the lovely smell of burned circuits... (heart stops).

Turns out one small component burned out on the mobo. I replaced it with a different model, and haven't had any problems yet. Although booting from the SCSI the issue was almost gone (before mobo replacement) - only here and there it would lock up.

So the mobo's been on the list of things to be replaced, but i had no choice now. The best part about all of this is my SATA drives won't boot because its a different controller :-o I was almost happy to learn it was the mobo that got fried... cause i think its been the culprit of many other issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom