Issue with FPS in Counter-Strike:Source, bottlenecking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron023

Solid State Member
Here is my problem, i have an XFX 7600GT agp 8x 256mb GDDR3 ram, and i am getting about 30 - 40 fps in counter-strike:source. I know this card is capable of keeping at least 100 fps in source, on most maps anyway. My processor is a p4 2.8 ghz (socket 478) and is quite a few years old, coming up on 4 years in october. Do you think my processor is bottlenecking my video card and causing my fps to drop considerably? or is something else causing this? I have done spyware/antivirus programs (spybot,ad-aware, crap cleaner, trend micro, and ZoneAlarm) but they have not fixed my problem. The graphics card is just barely 3 months old from the time i received it. my PSU is an old ATX 550W, potentially 5 years old (got it from a friend) could that be causing it as well? Recently i have been tempted to buy a new computer off of a friend of mine, but im still trying to figure out what is wrong with this one, before i make my final decision. Hopefully you guys can help me out!
Im running windows XP HE btw.

Thanks,
Aaron

cpuzz.jpg

not sure how i can tell how hot the processor is...

But the 7600GT runs at 50 idling and at about 55-58 under load.

Its not the heat. Its just that the processor is bottlenecking, like u said. My P4 has had trouble running the latest games too, but I also have an old video card. But yea its the processor. You could try overclocking it, but i doubt if you would get very far. Either upgrade or live with 40fps (which isnt THAT bad).

Hahah well the real issue is CAL matches, with the new Anti Cheat client and recording a demo, i get about 10-20 fps, which is quite bad :).

i have a friend of mine, who as the exact same set up as me, only a slightly different processor, a 3.0 instead of a 2.8 ghz and he runs fine... could a psu issue be causing this?

i dont think you'd be bottlenecking with 2.8Ghz. i got a P3 1.2 and i get 50fps. How much ram do you have? also your front side bus could be slow. overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom