Help w/new PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to everyone who answered - I got a 480 W power supply locally and it didn't help anything - but it's nice to have. Got another stick of memory from newegg and that didn't help things either so it must be the MoBo as it wil only load windows w/my old Buffalo memory - won't even take the new Crucial from newegg unless that's bad somehow. I don't know if FedEx vans out here go through EMP's on a regular basis, but it seems like the last few things I've gotten from newegg have had problems. At least the RMA policy is relatively painless

Athlon XP 32000+/Barton (not OC'd) stock heatsink and fan -decent

Soyo KT-600 Dragon Ultra Platinum MoBo-Never heard of it, ASUS is pretty much the standard for mobos, I suggest the A78X or whatever.

80GB Maxtor SATA HD -Decent I guess

256 MB Buffalo PC3200 RAM (temporary/waiting for RMA)-Mushkin or Corsair XMS RAM!!!

Sapphire/ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Video card- Just fine!

SB Audigy2 and Linksys Wireless Adapter in PCI slots- Good

X-Dreamer II case w/350 W power supply and 3 case fans-Sounds good, 350 watts should be fine unless you go cathode/fan/extra happy.

Windows XP Home for OS-Nice!

Not sure if you ever got your Sy-KT600 working but I had the same problem with my Soyo and it was the anti-burn regulator in bios The default was set really low I believe so I shut it off and everything worked. Be careful though because the anti-burn feature is a good thing to have to keep you notified of a possible meltdown.

Never thought of that, but mine ended up being (I think) something wrong w/the DIMM slots on the board as known good memory was coming up faulty/not recognized and the crashes from XP were somewhat unpredictable. Ditched the SOYO, got an ASUS and the whole system runs fine now. I do have an RMA SY-KT600 coming so I'll try again when it gets here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom