Adding RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
i've decided with cs3 coming out and upgrading to vista that i need 3gigs of ram for the computer to respond correctly :p

So i found some on ebay, same manufacture that i LOVE (patriot) and its pretty cheap. its a higher speed ram (500mhz) but it has a CAS latency of 3, while the others have a latency of 2

my question, if i buy this ram i know the 500mhz will run at 400mhz, like the others, but will the cas latency be 3 on one stick and 2 on the others, or is it that highest number is what your stuck with bs like with all the other computer stuff :)

-Tom

Yes, your computer would run at the highest cas latency one of the sticks has. And it's not BS because imagine a car with the left side having more power than the right side, it's either going to swerve off to that side or just do a circle all day long, so obviously it would have to make adjustments for it to work together correctly. Since your memory can do 3 cas at 500mhz, you might be able to clock it down to 2 cas at 400 mhz

eh you know what I meant by bs... I pay for 2 cas2 sticks running up a bill of idk, $220 or so and these sticks are like 35 - 40 but are a bit slower (in terms of latency)

I see how that might be possible... i'll just see what happens and go for it but the cas is dependent on the cycles the ram can perform, so 500mhz@cas3 is a lot less than 400mhz@cas3, so holding it back could up it a bit(?)... hopefully my "amazing" mobo can figure something out with those

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom