Setting up my RAM Timings

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP4LIFETN

Daemon Poster
i have g.skill hz's ram..and im not sure if im running at the correct timings or not..and in the bios, there's like 10 different timings in the bios but only like 4 or so in the specs...and would increasing the voltage change the timings automatically? my voltage is set as auto, somewhere between 1.8v and 2.8v

Once you start Overclocking you will want to manually adjust everything.

You can run 4-3-3-10 timmings up until the speed of the RAM.

Meaning once you hit PC2 6400 (Which I beleive is 800 Mhz??) you will want to use manufacturing timming. Stated on the package or the SPD info of the RAM.

Since I have the same RAM, I can tell you right now that the RAM will run 4-3-3-10 when below 800 Mhz and at least 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 at 800 Mhz or Higher.

im ok with manufacturing timings, but what is it running now? one screen says the 5-5-5-15, and the other says 4-4-4-12, which one is the actual timing?

Ste: Most likely his CMOS values are set to AUTO-AUTO-AUTO-AUTO so he cannot see for himself.

AP4LIFETN: The actual values are 5-5-5-15-23 2T. These are actually quite slow, and I'm sure at DDR800 your RAM is capable of at least being set to a 1T command rate. I cannot vouche for the 4-4-4-12 however as I do not have that RAM. The 4-4-4-12 you are seeing in the right hand window is your manufacturer's SPD values. (see the tab in CPU-Z called 'SPD'? that's the one you clicked) The tab that says 'Memory' are the actual, current values.

Since he will need to set everything to manual I do not see how that is a problem.........

Now, since my RAM was set to 4-4-4-12 before I changed anything, his might be set to such in the CMOS as well.
<Same RAM>

well that helps, and they are set to auto, but when i move it to manual, 10 or so timing settings pop up, but apparently only 4 of them matter? set them all or only the ones listed in cpu-z?

yeah my 590 sli sets them to 5-5-5-15-2t until i change them as well. as ste says, below 800mhz (mine will go to about 760) you can set the timings for 4-3-3-10 (or 8) 1T. anything over that you will have to raise the timings to 5 timings or command rate to 2T. with your rig, if you are concerned about benchmark performance and are overclocking, you will want to raise (or leave lol) the timings at 5-5-5-15-2T and clock them as high as possible (you should reach about 1060mhz with 2.2-2.3V.
the ones you need to change out of the 10 to get the SPD settings are the ones listed in your cpu-z screenie:
cas latency: 4
ras to cas : 4
ras precharge (may be listed as ras pchg): 4
Tras: 12
and if you can,
Trc:36
now, my mobo will not allow me to raise the trc that high, which may be the reason i can only get about 1070mhz out of my HZ's.
good luck!

well that helps, and they are set to auto, but when i move it to manual, 10 or so timing settings pop up, but apparently only 4 of them matter? set them all or only the ones listed in cpu-z?

No, those are the secondary RAM timmings, they are less important but can and might need to be adjusted when overclocking.

You set them to whatever is stable for a given overclock.

Like I said, I garuntee they will run 4-3-3-10 when under 800 Mhz.

ive had mine at 3-3-3-5 1t at 800mhz and 5-5-5-15 1t 1100mhz staying at 1.85v. i got them at 4-4-4-12 1t 800mhz right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom