Dual 8800GTS (640MB) in SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlharrell

Baseband Member
So the manuals that come with these expensive cards leave a bit to be desired. They don't mention a thing about setting them up in SLI mode. I've been talking it over with a buddy of mine that knows more about setting up hardware, and another friend of his where he works. I'll admit... I'm a noob where it comes to the higer end stuff. This is my first major build with RAID and SLI.

I have (2) EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB cards. I have an Abit AW9D-Max mobo and C2D e6600 processor. From what I've gathered from friends, both cards go on the mobo. The one sitting in the slot marked "Master" is obviously the main video card. The two cards are connected with the little SLI board. That far I can figure out on my own. It's all good.

Now, for the monitor end of things... I have a 30" Dell flat panel (yeah, I'm drooling too... can't wait to run the heck out of it). It came with a DVI cable. I'm assuming it's a "Dual-Link" cable? I'm not sure how to tell. DVI to me is DVI. From what I've heard, I merely plug the single cable into slot '1' on the "Master" video card? I've seen the DVI 'Y' cable before for other setups, but from what I hear that's not for this setup. Is this correct? Does the second card pass rendering information to the first card?

Please let me know. I want to get this sucker going asap.

u lucky GIT !!!

Ive never installed SLI b4, but if i were you id start by setting the one card up and then introduce the 2nd, u the activate the second card via the nvidia control panel, aparently then you have 2 options for rendering, interlaced (render a line each in turn) or top an bottom -dont know the correct term (1 card renders top half, the other the bottom) which is better i dont know. as i said i have never set this up b4 but this seems like the common sense way to do it.. if u put both cards in at once and theres a problem, ull end up having to do what ive just d=said anyhows :)

he already said they're connected with the "little SLi Board"

sounds like you don't really have any problems...

put the 2 cards in, connect with the sli bridge, connect power to em, put the dvi or dsub cable in the master card, and power that baby up

im building a comp for my friend soon and he is gettin a gtx like mine so ill have sli gtx's for awhile hehehe

I had been saving up for a while. Once I sold my scooter ($1600 cash), I had enough money to go for it. I figured "Go big or why bother"? Can't wait to get the 30" Dell screen up and running every game I can get my hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom