More ram or faster ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbar71

Fully Optimized
I was wondering if i had more slower ram OR if i had less faster ram.
Because my mobo supports DDR2 800mhz and i currently have 512mb running at 667mhz. i am about to buy some ram from newegg but i dont know if more slower ram is better or if less faster ram is beter

ram is pretty cheap these days. I would pick up 2gb of ddr2 800mhz. prices are around $129 to $150. just do not mix slow ram with fast ram because the ram will only run as fast as the slowest chip. maybee you could sell the 512mb chip here or on ebay to recoup a bit of the cost.

more slower ram if its going to be 4gbs and you have windows vista. If youre using xp stick with 2gbs and whatever is cost effective to you. Timings do matter but not a lot just remember in most cases the bigger the ram the slower it is. if you want to be able to multi task better more ram would help.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Retail
check this out some guy got it for 260 you can get it for 104 :D

It depends on how much you use. If you are going to use the amount of RAM you get, go for it. Otherwise, get faster RAM to increase performance (although your money is best spent in other areas in most cases)

i was hoping to get 4 gigs of ram to prepare for vista(probly getting it soon)
but i have 2 8600gts in SLI and i didnt know if 667mhz ram would bottle neck them

well more ram never helps, enough ram helps. If you got 4 gigs and never break the 2gig mark, then you wasted $100 on unused memory. Go for 2gigs for gaming and 4 gigs if you need it.

why bother... cheap, fast ram is going beyond the sub 130$ line.... so u can get 2gb for less than 100$ now.... and its overclocking RAM!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom