Insufficiant 3d hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST27

Solid State Member
So, here's my problem:
About a month ago, we got our computer back from the repair place(not sure where my dad sent it). We lost everything, because the Hard Drive was corrupted(or something like that), so I had to re-install all my games.

SimCity 4 works, even though before I start my game, a message pops up saying "cannot initialize direct draw." So I hit OK and everything's fine. But, when I tried any one of my games, it says I have Insufficiant 3d hardware(or a variation of that). I figured that it ment that I didn't have DirectX 9 installed, but when I checked, I did have it.

I just installed Star Wars: Empire at War, and it says I have to "Install DirectX SDK to get the full reference device."

So, I don't know what to do.

got to start>run>type dxdiag an look and make shure that you have dx9 installed if u dont then go to the microsoft website and download it '
also make shure that you have the latest drivers for your videocard

You'd probably want to reinstall dx9 anyways just from that "can't initialize direct draw" error. I agree that you should have the latest drivers installed--I'm thinking you might be using XP's built in drivers and those are no good. What card are you using?

also if you have integrated graphics then you need to get a videocard

That's unnecessary. Integrated and dedicated graphics perform the same function. If integrated graphics meet the minimum requirements for a game, they should run the game without errors.

The things you want to check:

1) Drivers- download the latest drivers for your card and install them;

2) 3D Acceleration - (Start > Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced). Make sure Hardware Acceleration is set to "Full" - all the way to the right - and then click OK;

3) DirectX - does it need reinstalling (download directx and try reinstalling it)

allmost all integrated graphics cant run most moddern games
so if he does have integrated graphics then he should get a seprate video card(AGP,PCI-EXPRESS)

Well, that's odd. When I run dxdiag, and click the display tab. It doesn't show what my graphics card is(even though I'm 99% sure what it is - X600). It does say that I'm using the generic video driver. How do I install the latest driver?

Well, I'm just wondering if it got fried or something when my computer went wierd...

...Yea, time to get a new video card! :)

Drivers & Software
Punch in your OS and graphics card and download the drivers. THen when they're done just installem--very easy.

allmost all integrated graphics cant run most moddern games
so if he does have integrated graphics then he should get a seprate video card(AGP,PCI-EXPRESS)
That's not entirely true and is beside the point, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom