Trouble Installing My Anti-virus Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingrob_513

Beta member
I'm trying to install my new anti-virus sofware (McAfee) but i'm being told it wont let me because of an old norton rescue program that was installed previously when my mom owned this computer.

My 1st thought would be to just un-install the old program,but it won't let me even access the old program because it was installed when my mom had windowsME and isn't even compatible with windows xp.

I need help please

I'm trying to install my new anti-virus sofware (McAfee) but i'm being told it wont let me because of an old norton rescue program that was installed previously when my mom owned this computer.

My 1st thought would be to just un-install the old program,but it won't let me even access the old program because it was installed when my mom had windowsME and isn't even compatible with windows xp.

I need help please

You will have to uninstall Norton totally!!! Locate all files in your programs file on your C: drive...

Warning: Norton isn't the easiest program to uninstall if you don't know what our doing....

Do a search for all files/folders with norton and symantec in them. Delete them all. Then, back up your registry and delete all registry keys for norton and symantec. Oh, empty the recycle bin too. You may have to do some of it in safe mode. Also you may need to stop the symantec service before deleting some of the files. I do this by right clicking my computer, select manage, services and applications, services. Scroll down to symantec and hit the stop button for each one.

Do a search for all files/folders with norton and symantec in them. Delete them all. Then, back up your registry and delete all registry keys for norton and symantec. Oh, empty the recycle bin too. You may have to do some of it in safe mode. Also you may need to stop the symantec service before deleting some of the files. I do this by right clicking my computer, select manage, services and applications, services. Scroll down to symantec and hit the stop button for each one.

How do u go about backing up your registry and delete all registry keys ????

How do u go about backing up your registry and delete all registry keys ????

Click start, then run and in the box type regedit and click ok. This opens up your registry editor. Click file, export and you can save a copy of your registry to the desktop or wherever you want. Name it whatever you want too. Then expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG and look in the software part of each for anything Norton or symantec, then right click on it and delete. Close the registry editor, reboot and you are done. If any problems arise from this you can import the copy you just exported and it returns to how it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom