dual booting with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I feared, Windows 2000 setup doesn't recognize the partitions that Vista made. It reads the partitions that Vista makes as damaged (including the Vista drive). The only drive letter it recognizes is the Vista drive, but it's still damaged. I can't delete the partition using the Vista partition manager, since then the setup won't even see the unformatted partition. I would have tried deleting a partition (Setup said it was a system partition) or installing/formatting one of the partitions (Setup said it would format the entire drive and then gave the drive letter of the Vista partition) , and I don't want to remove my Vista installation by accident. Help?

This is what I saw on the W2K Setup screen
Unpartitioned space 1 MB
C (Unformatted or damaged) <correct number> MB
--- (Unformatted or damaged) <correct number> MB
--- (Unformatted or damaged) <correct number> MB

The drive letters should be C, D, E, with C = Vista, D = documents, E = intended partition for W2K. Any tips are appreciated.

Unpartitioned space should be 8 MB for the partition table to be right. vista like to let you do that. the xp cd will always let you leave that 8mb there

I tried dual booting once and installing xp on a seperate partition killed off vista for some reason and neither of then would boot

I tried dual booting once and installing xp on a seperate partition killed off vista for some reason and neither of then would boot

that because the xp cd destroy's vista boot sector which is different. you alway install OS in their oldest order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom