45nm Core 2 Quad?? DX10

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyCurious

Daemon Poster
Just wondering when the 45nm Core 2 Quads (or is it going to be Duo?) will be hitting the market? I want to build a computer but I heard the 45nm chips will be out by the end of this year... probably November to December 2007?

And when are the new graphics cards coming out? I remember people telling me to wait until new graphic cards came out, but I don't know what kind of card they were talking about... i'm guessing it was the DX10 cards?

um... sorry... just read about the 45nm post below mine. So September, eh?? Wow, faster than I thought. ;)

When these 45nm's come out, do you guys think there will be a major price drop in the other CPU's that are 65nm?

Is there something better than DX10?? Or anything that is ABOUT to come out that will revolutionize the graphics??

Is there something better than DX10?? Or anything that is ABOUT to come out that will revolutionize the graphics??

DX 10.1 is cooming soon. It wont be supported by the nVidia 8 series, only the 9 series, which should come out at the end of this year/ start of nxt year.

DX 10.1 is cooming soon. It wont be supported by the nVidia 8 series, only the 9 series, which should come out at the end of this year/ start of nxt year.

If thats so... then is still good to invest in a DX10 card like the nVidia 8 series? Invest as in spend alot for like the 8800GTX when DX10.1 won't support in about 6 months just to say.

aww u serious? I thought DX10.1 was a joke. So much for me planning getting HD 2900 XTX.

actually, once i get it, then ill get the R680..........ya ill go ahead n do that, the R680 should support DX10.1. If not, then an R700.

R680 is suppose to be a refresh of R600, no?

When these 45nm's come out, do you guys think there will be a major price drop in the other CPU's that are 65nm?
I don't understand why some people care so much about the process size when they don't even understand it.

NM is short for nanometer. Any reference to process size in nanometers refers to the size of a single transistor located on the processor. The easiest way to increase performance of a chip is to increase the number of transistors on it. Therefore a chip using a smaller process size than another can in theory fit more transistors on a die of the same size.

However, two identical chips with different process sizes will still perform exactly the same. The only distinguishing differences would be that because transistors are smaller on one chip, that chip requires less power to operate because a smaller transistor obviously requires less power than a larger one. However, when transistor size becomes smaller the size of the insulation on that transistor also becomes smaller. Engineering defects can cause a transistor with poor insulation to leak current and thus become less efficient, hotter, slower etc.

A 45nm chip is cheaper to produce than a 65nm chip because it requires less silicon because of the smaller transistor size; so no, a 65nm chip will rarely be cheaper than a 45nm chip. THE PROCESS SIZE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF A CHIP.

DirectX 11 is comiing soon too mate. People don't understand that directX is simply a rendering path. So long as the game engine is built with a backport to a previous rendering path the game will still work, regardless of whether or not your current GPU supports the most recent rendering path or not. If a rendering or instruction set path is so important, why do people buy Core 2 processors? Those processors attempt to use an x86-64 instruction set known as EM64T yet they have limited support with actual x86-64 based applications. Why are people not jumping up and down suggesting to wait until EM64T has better support? I wonder if anyone else even knows that

"If a rendering or instruction set path is so important, why do people buy Core 2 processors? Those processors attempt to use an x86-64 instruction set known as EM64T yet they have limited support with actual x86-64 based applications. Why are people not jumping up and down suggesting to wait until EM64T has better support? I wonder if anyone else even knows that"

you mean that current 64 bit processors aren't really 64 bit? only the server processors are the real 64 bit processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom