Building a 3.06, Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt say what hardware though ... I did put it in my shopping cart though and have had no conflicts or anything, I guess I wont know for sure till checkout.

Also I have decided to go with a Koolance case that has a built in water cooling system. Better safe than sorry I always say.

(oh heh I have decided to suck it up and build this pc)

If you don't have any previous experience about building machines then you better be reading some articles...better though you can watch someone insall in front of you so that you can go about it smoothly....watching it is better than reading on how to do it.

i have previous experience building machines, last machine i built was a 1.8 ghrtz pc. I just am afriad to try this 3.06 because everything is so freaking expensive, and i dont wanna mess anything up

the PIV 3.06 is the same as other PIV family. Dun have to worry abt it. If i am you, i would use 850 chipset to maximise the performance. But since RDram is so heaty... guess i dun wan my pc to keep 'drinking cooling tea'. GA 667 Ultra2 is a good board. But, surely, you dont want to consider the 8INXP?

DDR SDRAM has since surpassed RDRAM in terms of performance. And the P4 3.06 is currently the only to have HyperThreading technology for architectural improvements, as well as to maximize performance.

If you are looking to buy a COA license sticker for XP the required 'hardware' you must purchase is the actual installation cd. That sticker is JUST the registration number.

Also, I may be misinformed on this, but don't you have to have rdram in order to capitalize on the hyperthreading technology on the P4?

Oh yeah. And uhm, be a man! build the beast!

Well I have changed a couple things in the comp

I am now going with a 2.8 ghrtz p4 proc. To me the 1.8 gain from 2.8 to 3.06 is not worth 200 bucks. At that speed the difference will be barely noticable. Also the HT technology on a 3.06 is good but is not currently being utilized by and applications, and by the time HT tech is finally starting to be used and become important then , who knows, you might be able to get 4.0 ghrtz proc for 300 bucks.

Also yes I would really like to go with a 850 chipset by intel , but DDR is now better performance wise than RDram and RDram is so expensive its not worth it.

Im still having trouble understand the windows XP deal... so you mean the "hardware" i have to buy is the actual install cd, and Im only paying 147 just for the registration code?...... if so where do I get this "hardware"

Not exactly.

WINXP is one operating system that support HT technology. :)
For motherboard that support HT, the bios will read 2 processor instead of one during POST. And RDRAM really bring out that performance in ur 3.06ghz. Althought DDR is the cheaper alternative, it does not fully utilise ur machine. Actually, the new PIV 3.06 HT is meant for pple who do a lot of video editing and graphics renderings. That way, you are utilising the CPU, otherwise, its nothing more than driving a Ferrari in Singapore.

Well I just ordered :D ~

I did find out what "Must be purchased with Hardware" meant , and basically to get that price you just have to order something other than software from newegg with the XP. And safe to say I met those requirements ;p

Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or saturday, thanks for all your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom