HD swapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspot

In Runtime
I am trying to help the company I work for with a few computer upgrades... I wasn't for sure but if I get new Mobos, RAM, and CPUs . can't i just put them together and take the hard drive that is in their old computer (w/ OS) and just hook it up .. and just install the mobo drivers? they don't have the disks since they bought out an older company and used their computers?

Thanks

unfortunately , you will most likely have to reinstall windows. and probably reactivate too. that is too much hardware change. sometimes you get constant blue screens or other instability
if you try to swap a hdd like that. it is only fixed by a reinstall.

if you have the cd keys you can probably call microsoft and get cds shipped to ya . the cd keys are proof that they own a copy of windows.

which version of windows is on the older computers?

the owner says that he doesn't have the disks or the key codes and doesn't even think he got them when he took over the company...

How many computers does it support? If they are more than 10 the best way would be a pirated cracked OS, because you would have to buy many keys even when they were in offer. Despite there is a big discount when buying many OS keys, it would surely be an expensive choice.

you can get the cd keys by using rockxp http://www.rockxp.org you can also try to do a repair instead of a reinstall. Make sure all data is backed up before trying this. sometimes it works but a clean install is prefered. most likely you will have to call microsoft to get the os activated but it is a relatively easy proccess. you will need to get your hands on a copy of xp pro.

How many computers does it support? If they are more than 10 the best way would be a pirated cracked OS, because you would have to buy many keys even when they were in offer. Despite there is a big discount when buying many OS keys, it would surely be an expensive choice.

For a business setting that is NEVER an option. What happens when they can NOT update their software due to the pirated software? Then the system goes down because they could not get the necessary patch?

Great suggestion to cost a company more time and more loss of productivity.

For a company that uses 6-10 Computers you can get a Volume License Key thru Microsoft. At first you can buy it that will allow for the install you need. They are a bit expensive but it is NOT worth the time and cost in the long run to pirate at all. You can also buy a Corporate License which will allow for all the installs you need.

Best bet contact Microsoft. They will work with you and help you figure out which License package for the price you are willing to spend. They will most likely try to push Vista on you as well. But you could probably find a XP Corporate License or Enterprise License somewhere. But contact Microsoft. If you pirate you will end up costing your business more than you bargained for. When you can get any of the latest patches and lose some PC's due to a hack or attack your boss will not be happy that you decided to pirate the software.

mssssee2-

No offense at all here. But do NOT suggest that someone in a business setting pirate software. Not only is that wrong but it could end up costing them their job for the fact that they might take the suggestion. When the worst happens and they say they got the info from someone on a forum you think that will save their job? That is people livelyhood. How would you like it if you had a job and lost it due to some bad advice someone gave you online like that? I think you would be pretty ****ed. Espically if you had a wife and kids at home and had to excplain to them why you got fired from your job.

In a home setting that is something else. But in a business setting that is just not right. Business shouldnt pirate software. Just google GeekSquad and see how much trouble they got into for their 2 instances of "pirated software" gossip.

For a business setting that is NEVER an option. What happens when they can NOT update their software due to the pirated software? Then the system goes down because they could not get the necessary patch?

Great suggestion to cost a company more time and more loss of productivity.

For a company that uses 6-10 Computers you can get a Volume License Key thru Microsoft. At first you can buy it that will allow for the install you need. They are a bit expensive but it is NOT worth the time and cost in the long run to pirate at all. You can also buy a Corporate License which will allow for all the installs you need.

Best bet contact Microsoft. They will work with you and help you figure out which License package for the price you are willing to spend. They will most likely try to push Vista on you as well. But you could probably find a XP Corporate License or Enterprise License somewhere. But contact Microsoft. If you pirate you will end up costing your business more than you bargained for. When you can get any of the latest patches and lose some PC's due to a hack or attack your boss will not be happy that you decided to pirate the software.

mssssee2-

No offense at all here. But do NOT suggest that someone in a business setting pirate software. Not only is that wrong but it could end up costing them their job for the fact that they might take the suggestion. When the worst happens and they say they got the info from someone on a forum you think that will save their job? That is people livelyhood. How would you like it if you had a job and lost it due to some bad advice someone gave you online like that? I think you would be pretty ****ed. Espically if you had a wife and kids at home and had to excplain to them why you got fired from your job.

In a home setting that is something else. But in a business setting that is just not right. Business shouldnt pirate software. Just google GeekSquad and see how much trouble they got into for their 2 instances of "pirated software" gossip.

I am really sorry! I didn't mean to suggest something like that. Thousands of sorrys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom