Help. I'm trying to install xp through a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricB

Chillin Techie
I'm following this guide

WINNER (Windows Is Not Necessary for Everyone's RIS)

I don't really understand this part.

WINNER (Windows Is Not Necessary for Everyone's RIS)

I'm serving a DHCP server on my LAN, giving my clients IP addresses ranging from 10.1.2.200 to 10.1.2.202 (pool = 2).

I'm guessing that my range starts at 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.182 and my range is 182

NetworkBoot.jpg

is this correct?

thanks. will this work with gigabit network? do the workgroup name have to be workgroup? do the username have to have a password?

I'm a noob to all of this

If I'm understanding your setup correctly you're installing both a DHCP server and a PXE server on that box.

You're partially correct on your setup if this is what you want.

The size of the pool is up to you to decide. I reommend setting it at 100 or smaller. This way you will have IP's ranging from 192.168.100-199.

You're going to have to disable DHCP on your router then (from the printscreen I see you have a DLink router running dhcp already).

In this setup, your router will act just as a router and DNS server while the box you're setting up with TFTPd will act as the DHCP server and the PXE server (this is recommended since PXE requests and responses are piggybacked on DHCP requests/responses).

Test these setting and see if it works.

If I'm understanding your setup correctly you're installing both a DHCP server and a PXE server on that box.

You're partially correct on your setup if this is what you want.

The size of the pool is up to you to decide. I reommend setting it at 100 or smaller. This way you will have IP's ranging from 192.168.100-199.

You're going to have to disable DHCP on your router then (from the printscreen I see you have a DLink router running dhcp already).

In this setup, your router will act just as a router and DNS server while the box you're setting up with TFTPd will act as the DHCP server and the PXE server (this is recommended since PXE requests and responses are piggybacked on DHCP requests/responses).

Test these setting and see if it works.

you posted this just in time. my head was about to explode. I had just quit and put everything up. I found out that most store bought router wouldn't work (for the reason you just said). now if i disable DHCP, will it hurt anything? will I still be protected? how do I disable
dhcp

thanks

You'll be just fine. The router will still be your DNS server (resolving all names to IP addresses). It will still also function as the NAT server (being that's is the default gateway, or as the tftpd says the default router). All your doing is moving the DHCP server onto that box.

What model is your DLink router? On mine there's a tab in basic setup that says DHCP. In there there's a check-box that says "enable dchp". Uncheck that and you're set. If you can't find it let me know the model and I'll look up how to disable DHCP on it for ya.

Oh, and don't worry, you're hair pulling is just beginning. Configuring the PXE boot image is what drives me nuts! After my company's latest hardware purchace, it took me a full day of testing to find the right NIC drivers to work with my WinPE boot image. (If your hardware is older this is an easier process, especially with a linux boot image)

a dlink dir-625 wireless n router. this should disable it, right?

Netdlink.jpg

edit. I'm getting somewhere. it say something about no Dhcp or proxydhcp offer were received. that's beat the "no filename found" option.

how do I give an offer?
my tftp

tftp.jpg

Did you do this part of the setup?

* If you have no working RIS Server and want to build your own easily
(any Windows flavor, even Win 98) :

1. Install TFTPD32. Get it either from Ph. Jumin's web site, either directly here

2. On your future PXE / RIS Server, create the following directory:
o C:\OUTPUT\pxelinux.cfg\

3. In the C:\OUTPUT\ directory, download the following file:
o pxelinux.0

You also need the following files in this directory...
o kernel
o initrd.gz

BUT of course, you don't have to download kernel and initrd.gz again, since they already are in this folder.

# In the C:\OUTPUT\pxelinux.cfg\ directory, create a text file that you'll name default, (not default.txt) containing:

DEFAULT rescue
PROMPT 0
LABEL rescue
KERNEL kernel
APPEND vga=normal devfs=nomount pxe ramdisk_size=70000 load_ramdisk=1 init=/linuxrc prompt_ramdisk=0 initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 rw noacpi noapm pci=noacpi lba acpi=off apm=off

What's happening here I believe is that you've got your DHCP lease, but there was no offer piggybacked on it for a TFTP server. According to the log it cannot find the pelinux boot image. Once it can find the pelinux boot image, it will respond back to your client with an IP address for the TFTP server that contains this image, then it will download it and boot from it.

the guy on their forum told me this

Curtis8 said:
You do have to have dhcp. However, the dhcp options in a store-bought router do not have all the options you need. The options you are looking for are "next-server" and "filename"
These need to be set as follows:
"next-server" = <insert your server's IP address here>
"filename" = "pxelinux.0" (this is with the quotes)

If you do have too much trouble, and have a handy old computer with a little HD and even less RAM, I can tell you how to setup IP-Cop to work as your PXE server. Or even have it as your router to point to your windows PXE server.

So I'm going get a 20-30 dollar computer to do it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom