Cleaning the Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP4LIFETN

Daemon Poster
I noticed that my CPU heatsink and fan have quite a lot of dust in it, is it ok to remove the heatsink and fan to cool it?, and then put it on later with the stock thermal paste? i have an arctic freezer 7 pro, and an antec 900 case, i can clean all the other fans fine, but cleaning the CPU requires me taking out my mobo and starting from scratch again.

Just blow it with air. Don't remove a HSF if its unnecessary. I'm pretty sure it's not required to remove the HSF.

i just blow air at the HSF and the dust on the fan comes back flying at my face. It's crude but effective, I clean it every two weeks so its not that bad that i have to take it out specially since my HS's brackets are on the back of my mobo:p.

I wouldn't remove it, especially if your using the Mx-1 pad that comes with it. As peter said, just use some compressed air. I use a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the dust that comes out after blowing the air in.

i see dust in between the heatsink :(..

maybe ill use my weakass vacuum cleaner to blow air on it, think that'll work or should i buy a compressed air can?

What I do when I clean my system, is take out the mobo (you dont have to, but I find this easier to get to the HSF), and use a little plier to get the dust out or loose. Then I have a fan near me, to keep the air ventilated, while I blow the HSF and motherboard, with the air can.

lol don't use the hair dryer.... like i did... nearly messed up my system... b1gapl knows the story ;)

To prevent this from happening in the future you can buy filters to put on your intake fans. You can also easily make these filters using nylons or other similar mesh cloths.

once again you guys are a ton of help, ill keep everything in mind when i do this tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom