Looking to upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erratic

Solid State Member
first of all, I only plan on using my computer for internet browsing and some gaming (ok ok fine 100% world of warcraft junkie) anyways looking to geta few more FPS out of my computer.

currently im using a bone stock a1340n HP pavilion desktop w/ windows XP.
Im looking at getting possibly a new video card,another stick of memory, and a bigger power supply if it is helpful.

my budget is around $200-$300.

anyhow, im new to the whole computer upgrading scene so if you need any other info id be glad to provide:D

This computer has a pci-e x16 slot available. Thats the best thing you wanna hear when upgrading. As for the memory, you could buy another 1GB memory module or take out the old one and buy s matching set: 1GB (2 X 512MB).

If you mix memory sticks they will only run at the slowest of the speed that your other sticks run at. Which means if you have a 333mhz and a 500mhz ram stick they will both run at 333mhz.

cant quite figure out who makes the memory, it has a "M" on it though :p

does it matter if i mix and match memory sticks?

as for video cards, i was looking at either of these 2:

Newegg.com - ATI 100-505151 FireGL V3100 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $159
Newegg.com - ATI 100-437808 Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $169

im thinking these both would work fine but like i said, not much experience with the whole upgrading of computers.

The first video card is not for gaming, but for graphics rendering I believe. The second one, cost too much for what it can do. So I would suggest this:
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card - Retail
It plays most game on mid-max settings. And will definitely play WoW on high settings or more, depending on your resolution.

For power supply:
Newegg.com - FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX400-PN, RoHS, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, 20+ 4 pin, PCI Express, 400W Power Supply - Retail

For memory, I would need to know the specs of your RAM. I know it's DDR2-533, but I would like to know the timings. To find out, download a program called CPU-Z. Just google it, and go to the memory tab. The timings should say right there.

260560972.jpg

not sure which box, so heres them all

any insight into video card choices?
The FireGL is only useful if you're rendering graphics (3D Studio Max, Maya, that type of thing). It's not configured for gaming. That 7900GS is probably going to be your best bet. Good price and a very good card for how inexpensive it is.
I am a little worried about your power supply. HPs usually only come with 300 or 350 watt ones, plus they only have a single rail and don't push too many amps. I think you'll need about 400w to run that card with the rest of your hardware. This one seems like a good replacement to me. Plenty of power, dual 12v rails, good price and good enough quality for what you'll be using it for.
Newegg.com - Rosewill Stallion Series RD500-2-DB ATX V2.2 500W Dual 8cm Ball Bearing Fan Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, TUV, FCC - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom