Quadcore question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xarcos

Beta member
Just signed up on these forums, specifically to ask this question. >_> I used the search and I didn't find any thread concerning my topic, so forgive me if this is an old subject.

BUT ANYWAY.

I'm building a new rig soon, and due to Intel's coming price drop, I'm wondering if I should go quad. I had my eyes set on the e6600, but when I found out abouthe price drop, I started thinking about the q6600 or the qx6700. I'm a gamer, and from what I've read, core 2 duos handle gaming better so far. Is that completely true? Will a quad provide slower game play than a duo? Which one should I go with for the new rig?

If you can afford it I don't see why not, quad core will help with future games such as alan wake and crysis. I plan to upgrade from E6600 to Q6600 if the price is right, my only worry is power consumption and heat levels.Its not a native quad core but two cores on one die the heat and power is significantly more. I do believe the yorkfield is out later this year which is a Q6600 using the 45nm production so heat,cost and power consumption should come down a little, although that will need a intel chipset P35 motherboard and wont work with the 9xx series of chipset

Go for the quadcore. The newer games will take advantage of them in the future. The extra cores won't do much with games unable to use them but they are available for other tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom