Walmart computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond your abilities? I didn't know a screwdriver was so hard to use...

I'm not a big "Do-it-yourselfer" but if i have the tools handy and a good guide to go by, then i usually do my own work.

I installed my own intake on my car, which in a 300ZX is a lot harder than a civic.

You think thats hard try doing it on a 98 navigator and an 04 1500 ram......

As the pc thing goes i understand just get the dell its fine and as someone said earlier if its cheaper its a good deal plus u get warranty with a prebuilt machine. Although if you learned how to build a pc in the future you wouldn't have to pay as much for one.

I think you should just upgrade your current PC...

I think you'd be better off buying one of the 500gb hds at newegg for $110, upgrading the ram (store pcs never have enough) to around 2 gbs of good, fast, ram.

If you don't game, an Athlon XP 2800 is pretty fast at common tasks. Just keep the system clean, reformat every once and a while, make sure your hardware is fast.

yep, for instance: i have an old AMD duron 1.0ghz, with 1gb and 250gb of hdd, and it just rockets, about as fast as my gateway, which is a 1.6ghz 1gb, 80gb hdd system, that has no use other than the full purpose of F@H in the room across the hall.

but yes, if it is possible, upgrade the current pc, but i remember reading above, that he wants to give his pc to the kids.

soo, maybe just build a really cheap, like xp 2200+ with 512mb, 80gb, 6200tc graphics, that should be just fine (and around 250-300 too)

checking newegg for good deals on stuff....

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have researched some online stores here in Canada and they seem pretty good. You can pick the parts and for $40, they'll put it together for you. Seems like a good deal. Maybe I'll go that route. I like the Dell from Walmart but am worried that I won't be able to upgrade. I've heard that with Dell if you want to upgrade you have to go through them. Don't know if that's true though.
$40? Wow, that's cheap.
4 yrs ago b4 I learned about pc building, I went to Pc Club in bakersfield calif and those s.o.b's wanted to charge me $85 to just put in a cpu and hsf.
At that point is when I did some research(bought a pc mag) and learned how to build a simple pc.
But if $40 is their charge, I say go for it!

I just noticed a site called ncix.com that'll build a system for $25. Seems too good to be true. I figured it'll cost about $150to $200 to upgrade my computer (bigger hd and more ram), so wouldn't buying a computer make more sense? And, if I don't do any gaming would I notice a big difference with a new computer? The only thing I do is download, watch movies and listen to music, internet, e-mail etc. I do usually run a few things at once, but my computer seems able to handle it. I would like a better graphics card so I can take advantage of my lcd screens natural resolution (1440 by 900) I only have on board and an available pci slot.

I guess if I wouldn't see a noticeable improvement with a new system then I guess it doesn't make sense to get a new one. By reading these threads, the consensus seems to be if your computer is more than a couple of years old it isn't worth upgrading. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom