CPU Cooling and OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdygeek

In Runtime
Hey guys I am going to be ordering a tuniq tower from petras tech shop. They have it for like 10 bucks cheaper than newegg. Anyhow i was wondering if i should get some MX-1 thermal compound or just borrow some of my friends arctic silver 5. Also I am having touble ocing my Proc heat is not an issue, unless my hardware sensor is wrong, because all the software I use tell me I am idling in the lower to mid 20s and the highest peak i have seen when running both prime 95 and CPU burn in at the same time was 50c. So here is where I am at right now. i have it stable at 2.8 but I can't get it to go much higher. Here is where I am at. CPU V +.05000, MEM V 2.2, NB V 1.5(Maxed), SB V 1.5, FSB V 8%. Thanks in advance. Oh and my ram timings are at 5-5-5-15 2T.

Just borrow your friend's AS5, instead of spending money, on something you can get for free, from a friend.

Your temperatures are fine.

Try upping the VCore a little more, and see if you can get pass 2.8

Your ram is designed to run at 4-4-4-12

is the vcore the CPU voltage? And how much power can I give the ram? I know that this proc can go really high but I don't know how much power to give it, I kept upping everything but couldn't get it stable at 2.9.

Yes...the VCore is the CPU voltage.

I've seen people giving that ram 2.1-2.3V, sometimes 2.4V

What is your VCore at now?

i wouldnt give those HZ's 2.4v. i am not too scared of voltage, and i used to hit my xms2 with 2.4...but i have heard baaaaaaaaaad things can happen giving the gskills that much. i would stick at 2.2, i cant seem to get mine to rise up past 950ish with 4-4-4-12 timings. if i drop to cas5, i can get up over 1050mhz. with my cpu (x2 3600) latency is more important than speed, though. so i run them at 800mhz 4-3-3-5-1T. which is wicked fast.
with your cpu, raw speed will be more important, so leave the timings at 5-5-5-15-2T and overclock the s**t out of them.

that depends. the specs are at 800mhz. so, if he overclocks his ram, he will likely have to loosen the timings. like i said, i can get over 900mhz at 4 timings, but anything over that and the timings have to loosen up. now, with higher voltage, i may be able to retain 4 timings at 1000mhz, but i am afraid of that voltage...i have heard that the d9 chips DO NOT like more than 2.2.
to tell you the truth, the gskills are great, but i would have to say that for speed and retaining tight timings...my xms2 c4 beats the gskill HZ that i have. for just raw speed the HZ's are a close winner...but its REAL close.
so, i will have to be switchin my suggestions for new builds based on that. but, they are both great...my xms just gets higher clocks while retaining tight timings. difference between gskill and xms2 here, boys...thats the difference.

My Vcore is 1.39. And does OCing the ram effect the proc like will it be more unstable the higher I OC the ram?

oh yeah. if your ram is unstable, so is everything else...same as an unstable cpu. if anything is unstable your pc is unstable lol....
also i am talking about the ram voltage, not the cpu voltage. i dont know if thats what you meant.
with your cpu, at some point you will have to set up a divider to keep your ram speed at a manageable level.
dont get me lyin'...i know amd cpu and ram overclocking inside and out...but i know much less about intel overclocking than some of the guys here.

I meant will stable ram clocked high cause the CPU to be less table, seeing as how it will be drawing more power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom