Convincing my parents..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I totally agree with Ellothar121. That's really the best way to go about it.

What I did to convince my parents was I showed them a list of parts and prices for them and then went on dell's website and customized their computer to match the same (or very similiar parts). The price wasn't even comparable (like $1200 to just under $3k) and I also let them know that Dell's parts come with limitations built in so that you can't "tweak" the parts (AKA overclock...etc) to perform better.

They were a little weary about me messing stuff up when I put it together but it's REALLY simple to do.

I'd suggest doing that as well (the online comparison) as see what they think. You should also try to get them to realize that custom-built computers are more reliable than store-bought ones

Well, that's my 2 cents. Let us know how it goes man and whatever you do...try not to talk down to them or rush the process. It took me a little over a month to fully convince them.

Getting back on topic...

Hi! I've been watching this topic since yesterday, but forgot where the log on button was <_<

Anyways...

Honestly? I'd print out a list of your preferred build, from NewEgg, and then show it to your parents. Make sure it has EVERYTHING (speakers/mouse/keyboard/monitor/OS, anything that you don't have a spare of), and make sure it's a low enough price where you know that you can convince them. You can always add $50 on, but the low price is a BIG bargaining chip.

Now, if they don't like the price, just nod your head like you understand what their hesitation is, and continue. If they're approving so far, smile and continue. Point out your reasoning for having each one. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get technical. A simple "This will help me do..." and a "This is better than our current PC because this one..." will get it done. You haven't confused them, and you've justified your reasoning. If they ask questions, answer politely. Remember, you want them to give you $400+ to build something YOU WANT.

Then, ask them to take you with them to your local Circuit City or other store with a reputation for supposed "technical expertise" (Everyone knows this is the best place to go ;)), and show an employee in the Computer Section, ask what they think of the list. Ask them if there is anything comparable to that in their section, for that price range. Again, remember to be polite. Don't argue, but if they're giving you a hard time about a choice you made, try to correct them nicely, say, "Oh yeah, that's right, but...".

Finish up by asking if you can do extra things around the house, or (if you have enough money saved up one way or another) ask if you can pay for a portion of it (1/5, 1/4 or 1/3, depending on the price, is a good way to go.). Even if they say no to you, they realize that you're serious about this, and you really do want to do it.

Don't try to do this all in one day. It will take some time to whittle them down, and more often than not, spacing it out makes it seem more like a passion than a desire. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself - that sounds like the best option I've read on this thread.

its about time i catch up after being stuck in 2 PC generations ago.....

try 4 generations old........

well luckily for me my dad is an old time unix server admin, so he is up to speed, sorta. all I have to do is put the list together and pay part of it off. even less hassle comes when i have all the cash and i pay up front and let me go and order it all just like that.

Well, apparently, nobody I know can let me borrow money. Looks like I'm stuck with the said crap Dell until I can make $1400 working somewhere when I turn 16.

You could probably find a job if you really looked for one. I've had a job every summer since I was 12. I know that grocery stores are usually looking for highschoolers to be clerks and stockers, give that a go.

Mentioning something about getting a job to pay for the computer to your parents could be a pretty good idea. They might know of a place that's hiring highschool students part-time or for the summer...etc...and they'd know that you were serious about the computer.

Well, apparently, nobody I know can let me borrow money. Looks like I'm stuck with the said crap Dell until I can make $1400 working somewhere when I turn 16.

You don't need 1400 bucks to make a decent computer...try more along the lines of 800-900 w/o a monitor.

Im 17 and doing a summer job right now...I make about 250 bucks a week heh I will be upgrading my system a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom