Building a new PC - will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejeremy

In Runtime
Hey all,

I just bought a bunch of parts from Newegg.com and I was wondering if anyone could look these parts over real quick to make sure everything is compatible. The reason I ask is because I got the parts yesterday, assembled everything, and the machine powers down after about 3 seconds of being powered on. I eventually removed everything except the PSU and processor from the motherboard to see what would happen and it still powered off so I'm sending the CPU and motherboard back hoping that one was defective. To make sure I didn't screw anything up, here's what I bought:

Case: Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card

Everything looked good to me when I checked it all out. If anyone can reassure me here I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

No I didn't use the plastic spacers...didn't think I needed them because I've installed a motherboard before and not used them, and that one worked just fine. This is my first build from scratch, so I guess that's my own fault. If that was the case, I'll be more careful when I receive the replacement :)

Make sure you ground yourself everytime, or go to radio shack and bu a static guard, that way, you don't have to worry about messing up the mobo. Also check you PSU, may be too low or too high.

I wondered if it could be the PSU but I'm sure it's not. I just swapped the PSU out of my old computer into the new one since it's only about a year old. I'm using that PSU in this computer right now and it's fine. It's set to the correct voltage and I'm sure it's throwin out enough juice (it's a 430W Thermaltake unit). During the whole installation fiasco I had unplugged components one at a time to make sure that wasn't it and it was still powering off so I'm pretty sure the PSU is fine.

When you take a motherboard out of a computer assuming its bad connect it outside of the computer case on cardboard to see if it works then.

Just advice for next time.

When you take a motherboard out of a computer assuming its bad connect it outside of the computer case on cardboard to see if it works then.

I tried this as well after nothing worked while installed inside the case. I had the motherboard on some plastic, not cardboard, with only the processor, fan+heatsink, and power supply hooked up to it. Even with no RAM it should still boot just fine, the fans should start to spin and keep on spinning. Unfortunately this didn't happen :confused:

So once again...the parts I posted should all work together and not have any compatibility issues right? Like the processor and memory should work in that mobo, etc...

yes they should all work together but idk i think you may need a need psu if the replacement motherboard doesn't work. try to get a seasonic with 500watts if you don't plan on upgrading don't get one of this 50 dollar psu's they crap out and kill everything in you're pc "sometimes".

heres a link to the psu its on special to 99.99$ after rebate.
Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12 SS-500HM ATX12V / EPS12V 500W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail

or if youre strapped on cash this can work just as fine:
Newegg.com - Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V TUV, UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC - Retail

(remember these are all suggestions so if one of those psu's craps out its not my fault :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom