most frustrating problem ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpx_rodder

Baseband Member
Ok.... gonna try to make a long story short.

i have a pc here that was left on during a lightning storm. Power went out and when it came back on, this guys modem would no longer work. His system has been acting weird.... and it will not work if the modem is on the MB. Could he have a power supply issue? or could the modem be causing the problems? could the motherboard itself be damaged? i think the answer to everything is yes, but i have no way of telling which it is.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

when we left the pc plugged in and there was a thinder storm our modem got fried, i would replace that

but would your pc still work other than that? this pc will not even turn on if the modem is plugged in.... ive never seen anything like it before.

does the pc run without the modem? i once flicked the switch on my PSU (accidently) to 115v ( i live in the U.K) so it was putting 230V thorugh a 115V transformer and that blew my PSU but my mobo still worked,

and in answer to your question i cannot remember as it happened 9 years ago and i was only 5 sorry about that

Lightning strikes do nasty things to computers. I worked at a place where lightning hit the power line, came into the building and jumped over to the Ethernet wiring. The immediate failures were a switch, a couple ports on another switch and the PCMCIA network card in my laptop. Over the next few months, we had several other pieces of network equipment fail prematurely that were probably due to that initial strike. I'd replace the modem for sure, but I'd also highly suspect the whole system is likely to go belly up in the near future. Back it up while you can.

When you say modem.. are you talking about a phone modem or a DSL/cable modem? What kind is it? It doesn't work? Can you elaborate? what do you mean by "and it will not work if the modem is on the MB." Can you make the short story longer?

Believe it or not, most surges happen on phone lines..

Also, i've experienced a weird phenomenon a few times - after loss of power (even a reboot after crash) i've had my NIC give up on me. I'd switch ports (other NIC) and it works, and eventually the old port would work if used again. Just randomness...

When you say modem.. are you talking about a phone modem or a DSL/cable modem? What kind is it? It doesn't work? Can you elaborate? what do you mean by "and it will not work if the modem is on the MB." Can you make the short story longer?

Believe it or not, most surges happen on phone lines..

Also, i've experienced a weird phenomenon a few times - after loss of power (even a reboot after crash) i've had my NIC give up on me. I'd switch ports (other NIC) and it works, and eventually the old port would work if used again. Just randomness...

There are 3 PCI slots on the board... the modem will not work in either of them... well, wait... i should say,,, the pc will not work as long as the modem is plugged into any of the 3 ports. There are no beeps, no video, no nothing.

The ports are good though, as I did try PCI video card,,, and it worked without an issue.

does the pc run without the modem? i once flicked the switch on my PSU (accidently) to 115v ( i live in the U.K) so it was putting 230V thorugh a 115V transformer and that blew my PSU but my mobo still worked,

and in answer to your question i cannot remember as it happened 9 years ago and i was only 5 sorry about that

Yes, the pc will work without any issues if the modem is not plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom