North Bridge Fan in MSI Mobo Bunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerX

Baseband Member
Hi, I've had a socket 939 MSI K8N Neo4/SLI nForce 4 mobo for almost 2 years and I was wondering if it's common for the NB fan to burn out, cause mine did.

I'm looking at this mobo for a new build and I see it has one of those NB chip fans. This build is for a friend and I don't want her stuff to go bad any time soon, so are those little fans/heatsinks known for doing that, or was it a fluke?

Oh and could alt/tabbing out of a BF2 server for like a week straight have made something bad like that happen?

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Oh and could alt/tabbing out of a BF2 server for like a week straight have made something bad like that happen?

nothing to do with that, make sure it spins freely by flicking it. or it might go on when the Northbridge is stressed

I have one of the MSI K8N models and the NB fan rattles sometimes. Seems like it gets out of alignment (slight wobble) and prevents it from going full speed... AND makes awfully annoying noise.. i have to sit there and keep poking it with a pen like 50 times untill it spins freely. BS IMO. Coincidence?

Most fans for the NB are shitty... They are small, and have to spin at incredbily high RPMS to push enough CFM to even have a cooling effect on the heatsink... I will admit though, the damned NB heatsink/fan on my K7n2 Delta ILSR died quickly and started to make terrible noises...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom