Vista WON'T recognize SoundMax Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
Happened again. After Installing Vista, the SoundMax card was GONE...and all kinds of audio problems afterwards.

Tried this suggestion:

"SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Microsoft Windows Vista build 5308 uses Windows Update (herein called WU) to get the latest drivers for the SoundMAX chipset. These drivers stutter, hiss, snap, crackle, and pop, nonstop and do not have support for digital audio. This is an improvement over 5270 where you had to find your own drivers, AND it was impossible to get digital audio.

1. Download these drivers and extract them to a folder somewhere with WinZip.
2. Open Device Manager (Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manager) find the entry for the SoundMAX, and update its driver with the one in the \SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\ directory that you just extracted.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Open Control Panel | Audio Settings | SoundMAX | Properties. In the ‘Other' tab uncheck the first entry and check the second for digital audio. If you have analog speakers, leave both unchecked.
5. If sound quality is not that great, try changing the Format settings in that last tab on the page. Try going up or down until it works out…. I have this card and was quick to replace it… Time to get a new sound card if you are still having issues :(
6. Vista will tell you that Windows Update has found newer drivers. Ignore it or you'll lose the sound!"

......and guess what ? IT DIDN'T WORK EITHER !

Digital/Analog Audio & Sound Drivers for Windows Vista at The NeoSmart Files

Have you tried this guide? It has some answers for you on Vista and SoundMax.

When I try to update the driver with their download, all Vista tells me :

"Windows Vista does not support MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device

This problem was caused by a compatibility issue between Windows Vista and MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device.

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device was created by NVIDIA Corporation."

I no its a diff mobo but try going through device manager choose update driver and try these:
ASUS P5B-VM Audio Driver v 6.10.01.6030 - TechSpot Drivers

Also found this to try:

"There is a temporary fix for blurred audio and when audio starts when Windows boots up then stops rapidly for no reason. All ytou need to go is go to:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound

Right click on your "SoundMax integrated ... " then go to Properties... then go to advanced.

After that its going to give you a combo drop menu with codecs in it. Change the codecs to something else and hit apply it might give you a warning message.. Click okay. That should fix the problem instead of you having to keep restarting your computer to get sound for 10-30 minutes then losing it all. At least it worked for me anyway. "

Have you tried to install the drivers with XP SP2 compatability? HAve to tried to run them as administrator? Have your tried to extract them and install them by .inf file only?

I went out and got a Creative Blaster Audigy SE sound card. Vista was able to find and install that one. Only problem, is that I still CAN'T record anything with it. Now how do you like THAT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom